• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Framemaker Files Disappearing on Google Drive

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2012 Jul 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We recently started using Google Drive to share files with coworkers out of the office. The Framemaker files that are saved on the google drive disappear when I'm working out of the office and make changes and do file/save. Do I have to change some settings in FM or will it not work with Google drive. If that is the case, what will it work with? Thanks for the help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never having used Google Drive before, I wonder - how does it appear within FM when you open/save a file? FM works with a bunch of CMS repositories – SVN, Sharepoint, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It opens the same as if I worked directly off of our server. I make changes, then "File/Save" and it subsequently disappears and is no where to be found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does it behave if you save locally & then copy it up to the Google Drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Goto google drive

Then, click Trash and All items in the left navigation to browse for your item thats disspeared. Do you find the Frame file there?

Harpreet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works fine locally but disappears as soon as you save in google drive.

Not in the trash, but good suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is is a possibilty that you are out of your storage capacity on google drive?

Have you tried with a different kind of file other then Frame file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are not even close to capacity as we just started using it with this current book.

We have Word and Excel files we are using also without trouble.

It appears it is definitely some conflict with Framemaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont think its an issue with Framemaker.I think you do not have rights when you do an offline sync with google drive when you are out of office.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll check with my IT guy. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And meanwhile i will check if thats an issue with Frame.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being unfamiliar with Gdrive, I just took a look at the wiki page for it.

Unless the wiki page is incorrect or outdated:

• .fm and .book are not supported formats
  • you don't store on Gdrive, you store locally, and local Google software replicates to the cloud (lots of potential pitfalls here)
  • there are size limits that a .fm file (and certainly its imported images) could exceed
  • Google probably has the right to create derivative works

This may not be the droid you're looking for.

Cloud Theme Song:

On a clear day,

you can see for never,

for never,

is when you'll see your data again.

______

...and a major new catastrophic headline reminds us of this once a month or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2016 Oct 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am battling this problem as well.

What seems to be happening is this...

Let's say you're working on file XYZ.fm

When FM saves a file it first renames the old version (e.g., XYZ.fm renamed to XYZ.fm123)

Then FM saves the latest version with the original file name (e.g., save to XYZ.fm).

Then FM deletes the renamed file.

In the meantime, Google Drive has noticed that the original document (XYZ.fm) has been renamed.

When FM saves the updated document Google Drive sees it and thinking it was renamed and noticing the newly named file is there deletes the recently saved file (XYZ.fm).

Now FM deletes the renamed file.

The only solution I have found is to either pause Google Drive or to quit from Google Drive. With Google Drive paused I found the incidence went way down but still occurred sometimes. With quit from Google Drive I found I never have the problem.

Hope this helps.

Note to Adobe..

To fix this, I think you need to add some delay between renaming a file and saving the latest version of the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2016 Oct 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did anyone actually verify that FM supports working with Google Drive? If not, then Adobe’s not going to be looking to “fix” this behaviour IMHO. However, feel free to wishlist it to get it on their radar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines