• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker parts lists

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If my company has an Excel spreadsheet of all of our part numbers (we are a manufacturing company) is there a way to automate a parts list and have the output end up in a FrameMaker table? 

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give one of the scripting gurus a shout - like @frameexpert or Russ Ward, etc. Do a quick forum search for "scripting" to get more guru-hits (because my brain is fried right now & I can't recall them all)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a lot of these over the years because FrameScript, a third-party scripting plugin for FrameMaker, can read and write Excel spreadsheets directly. Now with ExtendScript built into FrameMaker, I typically use XML to FrameMaker so the Excel content has to be exported to XML first. ExtendScript can't read/write to Excel directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrameScript is still available though so you could still go this route if you want to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frameexpert, 

Thank you so much for the response. I was wondering if you know if this would work with InDesign as well?

Thanks,

Dan Toner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many moons ago I helped a transit company automate their bus schedules using their existing InDesign and Excel workflow. IIRC, I had them import the files by reference using (gasp!) OLE, which allowed updates to the schedules to overwrite originals and show up automatically.

OLE is not my favorite solution, but it worked like a charm for such simple files. You can also do the same with EPS files imported by reference.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

InDesign has a lot more third-party tools available for integrating outside data into documents. You can actually do Excel to InDesign with stock InDesign. I just did a catalog project using XML to InDesign via Xtags from Em Software. It worked very well. I have also used EasyCatalog, which is more of a high-end tool but very powerful and flexible. A lot depends on your specific requirements. If you want to discuss your particular workflow, please contact me offlist. Thank you. rick at frameexpert dot com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines