Highlighted

FrameMaker2015 - Page Nos in the wrong order after printing "last sheet" first.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be no facility to reverse the order of the page numbers when creating long Arabic & Hebrew documents and where the pages are to be attached to the end of a series of normal Left to Right pages.

I had hoped this would be an automatic feature - For Frames 8 - 12 in Arabic  I have had to save the document in Mif and run a VERY complex program which extracts the folio frames and places the folio frames onto the body pages which lets me then reverse the page number order by hand.

Bob

Message was edited by: Bob Wallace to change RTL to LTR

I think, you should maintain the FM document sequentially even for Arabic pages i.e. Page 91 should be the first page of Arabic, and so on. Now Booklet and PDF can be generated as follows:

• While generating Booklet, you can select "last sheet first" for Arabic page range(91-100), and this can be appended with the other LTR pages(1-90). So the page numbers of booklet would look like as 1,2,3...90,100,99...91. And therefore when Arabic user would be reading the Arabic content in booklet, he would start reading the content from page 91, and for him the page number would also be increasing from 91-100, as he is reading.
  • For PDF, you can directly generate the PDF.

Let me know if it does make sense.

Thanks!
Harsh

FrameMaker Engineering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

FrameMaker2015 - Page Nos in the wrong order after printing "last sheet" first.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be no facility to reverse the order of the page numbers when creating long Arabic & Hebrew documents and where the pages are to be attached to the end of a series of normal Left to Right pages.

I had hoped this would be an automatic feature - For Frames 8 - 12 in Arabic  I have had to save the document in Mif and run a VERY complex program which extracts the folio frames and places the folio frames onto the body pages which lets me then reverse the page number order by hand.

Bob

Message was edited by: Bob Wallace to change RTL to LTR

I think, you should maintain the FM document sequentially even for Arabic pages i.e. Page 91 should be the first page of Arabic, and so on. Now Booklet and PDF can be generated as follows:

• While generating Booklet, you can select "last sheet first" for Arabic page range(91-100), and this can be appended with the other LTR pages(1-90). So the page numbers of booklet would look like as 1,2,3...90,100,99...91. And therefore when Arabic user would be reading the Arabic content in booklet, he would start reading the content from page 91, and for him the page number would also be increasing from 91-100, as he is reading.

Thanks!
Harsh

FrameMaker Engineering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 08, 2015 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bob,

I'm not sure, whether I've understood your problem correctly.

Are you saying, that you need some mechanism such that page numbering should begin from last page, and the numbers should be incremented, as we move towards the first page, in the RTL document?

Please help us in understanding more on your problem, by giving some examples?

Thanks!

Harsh Gupta

FrameMaker Engineering

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 08, 2015 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harsh,

You have understood correctly.

If a document is pure RTL then there is no problem - the platemaker/printer simply reverses the page order.

When you have a mixed document i.e.

Pages 1 - 10  English

Pages 11 - 20 French

Pages 91 - 100 Arabic at the end of the document where page 100 is the first page of the Arabic so that the booklet can be read RTL.

The Arabic Pages are produced separately then "last sheet first" printed and added to the remainder of the job in the PDF.

However the page numbering is in the wrong order i.e. 100 - 91.

This will be a common problem for companies who try to use FrameMaker2015 for multi-lingual documents - in my case car manufacturers.

At the moment I have to  produce a mif and run software to do part of the job and finish off by hand.

Bob.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 09, 2015 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!
Harsh

FrameMaker Engineering

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 09, 2015 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes some sense and I will try this for future jobs.

Unfortunately my customer is insisting that this is the way they want it!

Many thanks for your advice.

Bob

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 09, 2015 0