• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generate PDF with different size pages impossible?

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2014 Dec 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to generate a book with different sized pages for each file. For some reason this is not working for me. I'm using two sizes. 8.5x11 and 17x11. Everything I try doesn't stop the cropping of 17x11 pages. Any help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2014 Dec 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF can do it.

Framemaker can do it.

FM just can't do it for varying page sizes in the same (.fm) document file. A single .fm file must have pages all the same size.

You have to do the PDF from a Framemaker book, and each page size change has to be at a component file (chapter) boundary. Every .fm file in a book could be a different page size.

I've not needed to this (except as a PDF hack later in the workflow), but as I recall from prior discussions, when rendering the book to PDF, you must set the PDF or PS "printer" (and Distiller, if used) to the size of the largest page.

We won't get into the issues it raises for consumers of the PDF ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2019 May 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Of course,the Tabloid pages are in different files in the books.  The content is controlled by others and would be microscopic in some cases if put on Letter size pages.  This might be acceptable for online, would force users to zoom in to read them, and would also create significant issues if users try to print them.

The Distiller IS set to Tabloid for the books with these pages.  This is what always worked with FM12.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines