• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

German Spell Check in FM 2015 is at least 10 years out-of-date

Participant ,
Jul 03, 2019 Jul 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been needing to upgrade my FM version, but I'm not sure if it's really worth it. I was correcting a document today in German in FM 2015. It had "dass" marked as incorrect. When I right-clicked, it suggested "daß". I double-checked the language. It is indeed set for German. However, "daß" went out of use with the Rechtschreib Reform 2005. Ten years before the release of FM 2015. The correct word IS "dass", so why does FM 2015 mark it as wrong, and suggest a word that has been/was wrong for 10 years before the release of the software? All ss-ß changes that went into effect in 2005 are incorrect in FM 2015. It fails to consider the changes instituted by the German government in their language. So, how can one trust it for correct spelling suggestions in any language? And, why should one trust that FM 2019 will have corrected this "oversight"?

Serie zur neuen Rechtschreibung

If this hasn't already been proofed in FM 2019, I suggest that the team assure that their dictionaries for various languages have been updated taking the newest grammar and spelling rules of that language into account.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 03, 2019 Jul 03, 2019

Hi Heather,

In FM 2015 you can also select the language German with the reformed spelling. Then everything works.

This is just a setting in your paragraph designer.

In FM 2019 you can now also use the Duden spell checker for spell checking:

https://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/2019/using/using-framemaker-2019/id14919K00DLS.html?rhhlterm=duden&rhsyns=%20

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Heather,

In FM 2015 you can also select the language German with the reformed spelling. Then everything works.

This is just a setting in your paragraph designer.

In FM 2019 you can now also use the Duden spell checker for spell checking:

https://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/2019/using/using-framemaker-2019/id14919K00DLS.html?rhhlterm...

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winfried,

There is only one choice for German in the Paragraph Designer in FM 2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Heather,

Then there is something not correct in your system.

German with the reformed spellling was added many years and many versions ago.

Please check again the languages. It could also be that German with the reformed spelling is at the end of the language list. I do not remember, how this was called (something like German reformed, German New, New German). And I also do not remember, if the language list was sorted alphabetically or not. I only have FM 2019, and there the languages were renamed.

If you really do not have this New German, then check for any updates.

If this does not add New German, then I would suggest to install your FrameMaker version and all its updates again.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easily overlooked, when the list is not completely alphabetic. Items should be kept together. Thank you.2019-07-03_15-56-35.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Heather,

Great, that you could solve your issue.

Yes. The list is alphabetic in FM 2019, at least with the English user interface.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines