• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

gif file not showing up in .pdf

Contributor ,
Sep 02, 2016 Sep 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all - newbie FM user here - training on the job!

I've been given the task to update an existing user document.  This document is a .pdf file and was created by saving from Framemaker (not sure what version of FM- perhaps 10).  I have FM 12.0.0.329.  Anyway, I open the FM book and one of the contained .fm files.  I create a frame just at the end of a section in the .fm and it creates the frame on a new page.  I then drag the .gif into the frame and adjust the size.

Then, I perform Update to the book and save as .pdf.  When viewing the .pdf, all I see is a blue square where the .gif should be.  I can save the image to Word and it looks fine.

Next, I drag the same .gif into another frame (another page), perform Update and save as .pdf.  I can see the image this time.

I've also performed the opposite.  Taken a .gif that displays correctly and moving to the frame/page I created and it will not show in the .pdf.

Did I do something wrong when creating this new frame/page I wonder?

Also, just to mention.  Part of my troubleshooting also involved saving the .pdf as  I've tried saving as High Quality - RBG and CMYK as well as Standard RGB and CMYK.

Thanks so much in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2016 Sep 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you dragging it from?

What do you know about the GIF? Animated GIFs, and GIFs with layered Image Blocks could be a problem.

You might save/export the GIF to a file, and import it.

In general, GIF (and any indexed color formats generally) is a suboptimal format for FM images. What is the GIF an image of? When I had to deal with legacy GIFs, I'd first convert them to bitmapped TIFF or contone EPS, then re-import, By Reference.

GIF was a great solution for dial-up. How many people do you know who even know what a dial tone is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 05, 2016 Sep 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Some legacy here.

As mentioned, I am new to FM.  I have taken the place of a previous employee and their instructions say to use .gif's for the pictures/images in our documentation.

As far as where being dragged from - Windows Explorer.

Lastly, other .gif's placed in the same manner in the document are fine.

regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines