• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Graphic border and fill won't allow different colors

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2016 Aug 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using FM 11. When I draw shapes inside a graphic frame, I need to apply a black border to each and fill them with different colors. I used to do this all the time using the fill and border icons on the graphics toolbar. Now, if I fill the shape with color A and apply black to the border, the fill changes to black. If I choose a border color first and then click the fill, the border changes to the fill color.

I have tried setting the border or fill to NONE before I apply the other one, but the result is the same.

Can someone help me with this? If I've botched a setting, I'd love to know so I can fix it.

Thanks!

Amy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: I used to do this all the time using the fill and border icons on the graphics toolbar.

Are you sure about that? I run FM7 at home, and the color is applied to both the border and fill. Only patterns can vary.

Whenever I've needed different colors, I either use overlaid aligned shapes, or generate the whole object as an external in a proper vector editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd agree with Bob – as far as I remember, this level of subtlety has never been available in the FM graphics tools; Illustrator is your friend :-} or handmade .svg, depending on the complexity of the graphic and how much time/interest you have …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2016 Sep 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for the quick replies and darn it! I hate that my brain can be so convinced of something that never happened. (Maybe I should have gone into politics.) I can work around the border problem.

Gotta love the forum for keeping things straight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: I can work around the border problem.

Matched, overlaid, aligned, grouped FM graphic objects is pretty straightforward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TCS4 came with Illustrator CS6. Do you still have that installed, by any chance? Drawing shapes, and setting fill and stroke colors is very straightforward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Amy,

The problem is that the fill and the border are different properties of the same object, and an object can only have one color at a time. Bob's suggestion of superimposing two identical objects and setting the fill on one and the border on the other is your best bet within FM.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines