• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Graphic Placement

Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2017 Jul 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM2015,Win7, Newbie to FM.   The requirement is to place a graphic on each odd page with a description/discussion on the facing even page. Anchored frames move the graphics around and graphics anchored to the page won't auto-number in a disconnected text frame.  Tables for the graphic can be set to start at the top of the right page, but the text won't flow back. What am I missing here? What is the quickest, easiest way to accomplish this...I am rapidly getting further behind.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 23, 2017 Jul 23, 2017

Create a Paragraph Format for the right page anchoring, say "PageAnchor", which will be blank, and have Pagination of Top of Right Page.

Anchor the Anchored Frame or Table there. Put the graphic in it.

If no other text needs to be on the page, make the Next Pgf Tag in PageAnchor whatever heading usually starts a left page (and that tag will have Pagination of Top of Left Page).

The blank line at the top of the right page can be avoided by various strategies depending on what you're anchoring there.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a Paragraph Format for the right page anchoring, say "PageAnchor", which will be blank, and have Pagination of Top of Right Page.

Anchor the Anchored Frame or Table there. Put the graphic in it.

If no other text needs to be on the page, make the Next Pgf Tag in PageAnchor whatever heading usually starts a left page (and that tag will have Pagination of Top of Left Page).

The blank line at the top of the right page can be avoided by various strategies depending on what you're anchoring there.

Now, what's the "text flow back" and autonumber problems again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the table designer you have a choice of "top of right page" and "float" and others.  When I insert the table anchor in the text on the even page with "top of right page" selected, the new table takes all the text with it below where the table anchor is located.  If I select "Float" the text will remain on the even page but the table is anchored to the text and I have little or no idea where it will show up especially as text is added or removed.

My original approach was to just anchor the graphic to the page, not the text, That way I could always assure the graphic is where I wanted it to be.  Then add a text frame under the graphic for the caption.  So what became a problem was the caption would not autonumber since it is disconnected from the main flow.

I'll give your instructions above a try and let you know how it works.  Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks like it is going to work as long as the PageAnchor tag is the last  tag on the even page.  If PageAnchor tag is placed in the text someplace above  text on the even page then the text below that moves to below the new table on the odd page, which isn't really a limitation for what I am trying to do.  I guess there isn't a Float option here. Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your text would be in a para that is set to Start Top of Right Page. Your graphic can then be placed in the last line of the description. After placement, look at your Anchored Frame pod to use the Float option. The size of the frame will then dictate the placement of the frame on the odd page.

NOTE: You'll want to have the content following your anchored frame set to use a paragraph that starts Top of Column, or similar position to keep text from "backflowing" into your graphic description.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines