Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

graphics are damaged when importing .html files into framemaker

Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2016 Sep 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, all.

I'm using FrameMaker 15 in a Win 7 environment.

I've imported roughly a hundred .html files into FrameMaker (by importing them as .xml files into Structured Frame). Text comes across fine but, unfortunately, the graphics resolution is trashed and the graphics are unusable.

Do you have any way to get graphics from html files cleanly into .fm format?

I'm really hoping not to have to take them as screenshots, one by one by one, all ~300 of them.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Sep 05, 2016 Sep 05, 2016

A quick test confirms that opening a vanilla .html file and telling FM to treat it as xml  … creates referenced graphics where the definition is set to 72dpi – at least on my PC. Increasing the resolution to 150 for the diagram I happened to choose as experimental subject gives acceptable results.

If we're lucky, your question may turn out to be "how to batch update the resolution for ±300 referenced graphics" :-} That's an answer that would have to be provided by someone else, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're starting from the .html source, I would have thought/hoped you'd have all the original graphics available, and that the the import process you mention would convert html-style references to FM references. [I see from my answers to another post that I apparently managed to open an .html file in FrameMaker with some success a while back … but without graphics, so you know more here than I do] Assuming that to be so, you could then experiment with the resolution settings in Framemaker to see what gives the best results.

If I'm missing something, please tell us more about the import process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick test confirms that opening a vanilla .html file and telling FM to treat it as xml  … creates referenced graphics where the definition is set to 72dpi – at least on my PC. Increasing the resolution to 150 for the diagram I happened to choose as experimental subject gives acceptable results.

If we're lucky, your question may turn out to be "how to batch update the resolution for ±300 referenced graphics" :-} That's an answer that would have to be provided by someone else, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2016 Sep 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for these answers. I must have seen one very bad graphic -- otherwise, FM behaves exactly as you say. I think I will post the question you suggest, with the clarification that the 300+ graphics are scattered among 100+ .fm files!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 06, 2016 Sep 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

make a temporary .book with all the 100+ files and generate a LoR for referenced graphics? things always feel better once you have a checklist :-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines