• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Grouping documents and Displaying in TOC

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create a TOC that will display the grouping/type of our documents from a FrameMaker book. I want the TOC to display these groupings a level above the document titles so that on an HTML5 output the documents of the same type (tutorials, references, case study) would be along the same branch in the TOC (as well as creating a significantly neater TOC)

I have tried using folders and applying templates to the folders to make use of the <$chaptertitlename> but I haven't been able to get this to work the way I intended.

Any and all help to improve upon TOC practices is appreciated.

Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Hi IntrepidGeophysics:

For text to appear in the TOC, it has to appear somewhere in the document. In this situation you could:

1. Add a title page with the words visible, either as separate chapters in the book or as the first page of chapters 2, 7 and 4 (why are they out of order?) or
  2. Add them to the first page page of chapters 2, 7 and 4 but set the color to white so that they aren't visible.

Either way, you can then instructor FrameMaker to pickup those paragraphs by referencing their style name.

~Ba

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi IntrepidGeophysics:

For text to appear in the TOC, it has to appear somewhere in the document. In this situation you could:

1. Add a title page with the words visible, either as separate chapters in the book or as the first page of chapters 2, 7 and 4 (why are they out of order?) or
  2. Add them to the first page page of chapters 2, 7 and 4 but set the color to white so that they aren't visible.

Either way, you can then instructor FrameMaker to pickup those paragraphs by referencing their style name.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The front page idea works, I already have front pages in the full book that group and navigate to the separate documents. The idea of using the titles there had completely missed me.

The book is now structured as:

Introduction

General Reference Title Page

General Reference Document1

General Reference Document2

Technical Reference Title Page

etc...

and the TOC generates as:

Introduction

General References

Document1

subheader

Document2

Technical Reference

Document3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines