Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

grouping purely vertical lines

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I have used FrameMaker for many years, but only recently upgraded to FrameMaker 2019.  I have the most recent build (15.0.3.603).  I have tested this problem on systems running both Windows 7 Pro and Windows 10 Pro with the same result.  Both operating systems are fully up to date.

Here's the problem.  Grouping two "pure" vertical lines (or one pure vertical line with one or more other lines in certain instances) fails, where a "pure" vertical line is created by holding down the shift key when drawing that line.  The items become grouped, but the grouped object extends to the upper left corner of the page or the anchored frame.  Once grouped, incorrect group dimensions are retained when that group is moved or aligned with other objects.

Steps to Reproduce:  In either an anchored frame or a page with no frames, draw two "pure" vertical lines by holding down the shift key prior to drawing each line.  Then, group those two objects.  The group will show "handles" that extend the grouped object to the upper left corner of the page or anchored frame, thus giving the grouped object incorrect dimensions and properties that remain for future operations. The group object properties verifies the incorrect group dimensions.

I am attaching an image with steps and screen shots showing how to reproduce the problem in its simplest form.

Actual Result:  The grouped object dimensions are incorrect, which makes it impossible to move, align, or otherwise manipulate the grouped object in any useful way.

Expected Result:  The grouped object SHOULD have dimensions that extend only to the outer boundaries of the elements of that group.  That is not true when grouping two purely vertical lines.

Any Workarounds:  It appears that this only happens with "pure" vertical lines.  Rotating just one of the vertical lines by 0.01 degrees sometimes causes a subsequent grouping action with another purely vertical line to be successful.  This works, but is not always consistent and is not a good workaround because the object properties of the rotated line (rotated by 0.01 degrees) are not properly reported in the object properties pop-up menu, which just shows a rotation of 0.0 degrees, thus not showing that it had been slightly rotated.

Hardware Info: tested on two Intel CPU Windows systems.  HP Spectre x360 laptop with Intel i7-8750H cpu, and Toshiba Portege Z30 with Intel i7-4600U cpu

Operating System:  both Windows 7 Pro and Windows 10 Pro were tested; both are fully up to date

Graphics Info: The Toshiba system has Intel HD graphics.  The HP system has Intel UHD graphics and NVIDIA GeForcs GTX 1050 Ti with Max-Q

I tried to file a bug report online, but that failed, so I'm hoping that someone here can help me to verify the problem and report the bug.

Thanks!  Any help is appreciated.

-Stewart

FM GroupTest1.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't comment on the graphics issue, but try another browser with the Bug Tracker - some have issues with the site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff_Coatsworth  wrote

Can't comment on the graphics issue, but try another browser with the Bug Tracker - some have issues with the site.

Thanks.  I tried a different browser and was able to submit the bug report.  I appreciate the advice.

-Stewart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2019 Jul 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may also be logged as FRMAKER-2029 (closed as Duplicate), FRMAKER-5377 or FRMAKER-6610.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been a number of issues reported regarding the graphics tools included with FrameMaker (example: FRMAKER 6395). From your post, it sounds to me like this is a bug and not something that can be solved without a fix to the application.

I think this is one where you'll need to contact the Technical Communications Suite support team at tcssup@adobe.com. You might also want to add this as a bug in Tracker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

linsims  wrote

There have been a number of issues reported regarding the graphics tools included with FrameMaker (example: FRMAKER 6395). From your post, it sounds to me like this is a bug and not something that can be solved without a fix to the application.

I think this is one where you'll need to contact the Technical Communications Suite support team at tcssup@adobe.com. You might also want to add this as a bug in Tracker.

Thanks for the advice.  I have sent an email to the Technical Communications Suite support team, as suggested.  I appreciate the help.

-Stewart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2019 Jul 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if you'll see this message; but I just encountered this problem yesterday July 19, 2019. I did discover a workaround, however, similar to the approach mentioned in this thread of drawing the line(s) slightly off-vertical, but without the accompanying problems mentioned.

My situation was that I needed  thin black lines exactly overlaying thicker white lines to use for annotation lines to appear against background screen snaps. So I always had two single vertical lines, one over the other, and they had to be grouped, of course. Voila! Ugly grouping bug. So I just drew them horizontal and grouped them. Then rotated them 90 degrees and they were fine. I haven't done more testing yet, but it worked immediately. I was updating some old Office software training materials on a deadline, and had no time to test further...or celebrate.

I actually recollect encountering this previously years ago with an earlier version of FrameMaker, again working on legacy docs from even older versions of FrameMaker, and I think I had found the same workaround at the time.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stewart,

I have  just come across this exact problem myself. Unfortunately it seems to make no difference whether I am editing an old document or when I generate a new one in FM 19. As soon as I group 2 vertical lines, the phenomenon as you describe above occurs.

Did you find any solution to the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Grant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Grant,

There is a bug report which says that this is fixed now. You have to wait for the next update or version.

https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/FRMAKER-6610 

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winfried,

thanks a lot for the answer.

The bug report is from a year ago, does it normally take this long to be implemented?

Thanks

Best Regards

Grant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Grant,

Only the Adobe engineers know, how long this can take. It always depends, how important a bug is. And how it would fit to other features and changes.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines