• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gujarati and xml

Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I need to import xml files including some text in Gujarati. Everything I've tried just produces a string of question marks.

I have been able to copy and paste Gujarati text into FM documents, but that only works for a few pages, not for thousands of pages.

Help?

Thanks,

Jack

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

An easy way to see if a font has the character range that you need is to use Windows Character Map.

1. In the font dropdown select Times New Roman.
  2. In the Group by dropdown select Unicode Subrange.
  3. In the Group By pop-up find Gujarati.

CharMap01.png

This is showing that the font has no Gujarati characters defined, so you need to choose a font that does have them.

On my system I know that Arial Unicode MS does include them:

CharMap02.png

You now need to apply that font to the Paragraph and character formats in your document.

I hope t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jack,

Does the default document font support the Gujarati code points? Is the XML unicode, or does it specify a non-unicode code page?

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, Ian. Thank you for helping me twice in one day.

Default document font: as far as I know that is Times New Roman. I can paste a sample of the Gujarati text into a Times New Roman paragraph and it looks right, so I'm guessing the answer to the first question is "yes".

I believe the answer to the second question is also yes. I saved it from Notepad and selected Unicode in the Encoding selector next to the Save button.

As you can tell, I am a babe in the woods with Unicode. Can you steer me to a general discussion of it? I'd hate to keep imposing on your expertise if I don't have to.

Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An easy way to see if a font has the character range that you need is to use Windows Character Map.

1. In the font dropdown select Times New Roman.
  2. In the Group by dropdown select Unicode Subrange.
  3. In the Group By pop-up find Gujarati.

CharMap01.png

This is showing that the font has no Gujarati characters defined, so you need to choose a font that does have them.

On my system I know that Arial Unicode MS does include them:

CharMap02.png

You now need to apply that font to the Paragraph and character formats in your document.

I hope that helps?

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sweet mother of Jesus. It worked. I can't tell you how much you just helped me. You are my new best friend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No problem Jack. It would be useful if the default template font were something more capable than Times New Roman. It may be worth checking other fonts for the characters you need because Unicode MS can give some strange spacing results. I think maybe Myriad Pro could do it too.

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines