Having issues trying to generate a .PS file via Print Book

Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Print Book, I see the dialog box saying it's going through the files and the percentage of the book being processed increasing. It stops and there's no .PS file only an .lck file for the book file. This was working fine for me before, but our IT person did some proxy work on my laptop, and I was wondering if the two were somehow related. I cannot generate a .PS file for any of my books now. Thanks for any thoughts on this. -Jean

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Engaged ,
Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the "Print to file" in the print dialogue?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
JMK AUTHOR
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What printer driver are you using and have tried outputting to a different path, like the desktop?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
JMK AUTHOR
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

drivers.jpg

No, I haven't tried outputting to another location. I'll try that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
JMK AUTHOR
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMgosh. I got a .ps file on my desktop. Thank you!

Why do you think this is happening????

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great 🙂

• It - may - be the length of the url you are printing to. Windows can only handle a certain number of characters. So if your url is like f:/operatorsmanuals/productxyz/frenchgermananditalianmanuals/manualswhicharestillbeingedited/filename.ps, you may run into trouble. That is Win7, though.
  • Another issue may be memory. If it a large file, I have experienced windows running out of memory during the printing process. Again... older systems, though.
  • And... I don't really know 🙂 May also be network speed. I have seen that happen a couple of times, where the network had "hiccups", so writing process across the network failed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the original intended .ps file path involved network drives or directories, I'd tend to suspect that I.T. enhanced something beyond repair.

Lurking in this discussion, however, is why you need to use the print-to-ps route in the first place. There are reasons, of course, but the save-as-PDF path works pretty well these days.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What printer {driver} is configured during the print-to-file?
It needs to be Postscript, Acrobat, or some other "PDF" (and perhaps not "PDF995").

And if this is an older version of FM, does the file path by any chance have any comma characters in it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
JMK AUTHOR
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe PDF and it doesn't have any comma characters in it. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, first you say that IT did something - since it was working before & now not working, I suspect you've found your cause.
Second - what you show as the driver doesn't resemble the Adobe PDF printer instance (as far as it doesn't look like mine). So that might be an issue right there.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines