Exit

Having Trouble Creating Index

New Here ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone help me understand why my index is coming out like this:

When it should be coming out something like this:

I have an index from another manual that I can import but no matter what I do it won't pick up the references to create the index correctly and I don't know how to do it. I tried creating it from scratch but no luck.

Lil help? Much thanks.

Brett

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, first off - is the "ugly" index a real index? (i.e. was it created by generating it in a book) If so, then you should be able to import the formatting from the "good-looking" index into the "ugly" one to fix it. There's also a trick you can use to recycle a "good-looking" index that Barb outlines on her site - Adobe FrameMaker: Reusing a TOC or Index - Rocky Mountain Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding, I’ll give this a shot.

On Thu, 10 May 2018 at 8:43 AM Jeff_Coatsworth <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi brettaabel:

My blog post will help with the formatting (Thanks for the link, Jeff), but the content is determined by the index markers in the chapter files. I'm unclear from your original post if this is a content issue, or a formatting issue or both.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the clear (basic) steps to making an index? I always just used an

older user manual as a template for my current project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi brettaabel​:

Here's the typical scenario:

1. When the writing is complete, hand it over to a professional editor/subject matter expert to read, and mark up the manuscript with index instructions.
  2. When the manuscript comes back, open up the FrameMaker document and add the index codes that correspond to the notes from the indexer. For example, code the level 1 entries, level 2 entries, page ranges, sees and see also, and adjust the alphabetization.
    Here is a link that explains how to code an index: Adobe FrameMaker (2017 release)
  3. Once the index codes have been entered, use the Add menu (Insert in Fm 2017) to add a Standard Index to the book. Here is a link with more details: Adobe FrameMaker (2017 release)
  4. The first time you generate an index it will pull the basic formatting from the first non-generated file in the book window but you will still need to address the paragraph level formatting and reference page formatting. See Jeff's first response to re-use a generated index from a previous project, or you can work through the paragraph formatting and reference page formatting on your own.

I teach indexing in my advanced FrameMaker classes or you can work through the Help topics from the FrameMaker help for more details. If you have any specific questions, of course you can come back and ask us.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines