• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Heading Autonumber Conundrum

Participant ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a document that requires uppercase alpha numbering for subheads (not our typical standard, but a customer requirement for this specific project). As it happens, there are more than 26 headings at this level, which gets me to double-letter "numbers." I have learned (because this is the first time it's come up in my 25 years of FrameMaker use!) that FM's default scheme is AA, AB, AC, etc., but my customer requires AA, BB, CC.... Is there a setting somewhere that I can toggle to get what I need, or will I have to resort to a Brute Force and Ignoranceâ„¢ method involving separate counters and forced values?

Help me Obi Wan Community: You're my only hope!

PS: Yes, I know this is an ugly and unwieldy way to number headings, but it's a hard customer requirement; "Don't do that!" isn't an option.

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a visual of the whole hierarchy of numbering? Are there any heading above the A, B...AA, BB headings? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As politicians traditionally say, "I'm glad you asked me that question!" But I truly am, because it got my brain started … and I do believe I may have found a possible answer for you. Here's the result:

alphaNumbering.PNG

The first list uses H:< ><A+>< >.\t (based on existing styles in the first document I reached for)

The paragraph "faked double-alpha …" uses H:< =0>< =0>< =0> to reset the counters

The second list uses H:<A+><A+>< >.\t (not entirely logical, but <A+><A> returns A zero)

Of course, this probably isn't an exact match for your client's extraordinary requirement :-} For a continuous list, you might end up needing three styles: A-Z, first AA, subsequent BB. By the way, what comes after ZZ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize for dropping this question here and then disappearing: The project that prompted the question quickly turned into an all-consuming nightmare. (That could never happen to an editor, right?)

In the press of time, I was forced to resort to the aforementioned Brute Force and Ignoranceâ„¢ solution, which was not exactly the same as yours, but similarly involved using multiple counters to imitate a "two-digit" alpha label. I had been hoping there was a way to change the default behavior of the <A+> counter for values >26 (apparently, AA, BB, CC... is the default scheme in Word, and my internal customer was demanding that I emulate the numbering scheme of his customer's requirements document... which was created in Word, because Word is the hammer everybody has, making every document a frickin' nail... but I digress....). The moment has passed, though, and I profoundly hope I never need to wonder about this again!

BTW, my answer to "...what comes after ZZ?" is "a very stern talking-to about outlines."  ;^)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 03, 2019 Nov 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

> BTW, my answer to "...what comes after ZZ?" is "a very stern talking-to about outlines." ;^)

Indeed! good luck with that :-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines