• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help file has gobbledygook

Participant ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else see gobbledygook in this help PDF from page i to xxxii? It's the toc.

https://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/2019/using/framemaker_help.pdf

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

It was only the TOC. A complete mess of all kinds of characters. However, a couple of reloads cleared it up. Odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope - looks fine to me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How odd.

And, oh dear.

Windows 10 and FM 2019 all patched up here, viewing the PDF in Google Chrome.

Reloaded a few times. Now the TOC displays fine. Someone needs more coffee, and I think that someone is the help PDF.

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unbeautiful, but perfectly readable …

But it reminds me of a comment from a reader some years ago: he found it especially unbeautiful that the size and spacing of the leader dots varied from level to level. I cannot now remember whether I found a workaround for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To fix varying leader dots just create a character format, setting the font and size for the leader dots (and page number) to the same parameters for all TOC entries. Apply this character format to the tabulator and pagenum entry for all relevant paragraphs on the Reference page, and the TOC will automatically be created with all leader dots and page numbers being of the same size.

Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a character format for the leaders … oh, very elegant! thanks for the tip, Bernd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As a follow up, the document is loading fine now.

The content I had trouble with, the table of contents, is Minion Pro, which I know is a standard font for Adobe stuff.

However, what is curious is that the toc is the only place Minion Pro seems to be used. Everywhere else, body text is Callibri (which, along with Comic Sans, makes me think of Microsoft Word), as also are headings.

Weird that a serif font would be used in the body of the toc and nowhere else. I wonder what the design thoughts behind that decision were?

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks good to me, Sean.

What if you save the PDF and open it in Adobe Reader or Acrobat and not in the browser window. Is it still a mess?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was only the TOC. A complete mess of all kinds of characters. However, a couple of reloads cleared it up. Odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines