Highlighted

How can I add a body-page flow to an existing document?

Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can easily create a document with two connected flows on the body pages. For example, I can create a new Portrait document and add an autoconnected flow tagged B to its Right master page. Once I've done so, I can go back to the body page and start to put content into either or both flows. As expected, FM adds new pages as needed. Flow A on p. 1 connects to Flow A on p. 2; Flow B on p. 1 connects to Flow B on p. 2; succeeding pages. The content on one flow may fit in fewer pages than that of the other. Also as expected, pages may become empty if I delete content and when I save the document, FM discards the empty pages.

Suppose, however, that I have an existing multi-page document with Flow A but not Flow B. If I import master pages from the new document with both flows, I get both flows on every page. However, Flow B on one page is not connected to Flow B on the next page. There are several ways to see that they are not connected:

1. Text symbols display an end-of-flow symbol in Flow B on every page.

2. I can insert content into Flow B on a page other than page 1.

3. If I add more content than will fit on one page into Flow B on page 1, FM adds additional pages between pages 1 and the original page 2 to hold the overflow.

If I copy all the content in the original one-flow document to the clipboard, I can paste it into an empty two-flow document. The result is a two-flow document in which Flow A has the original content and Flow B is empty but connects page to page. I can use Save As to replace the original file with this two-flow version.

Is there a way to modify the original document and obtain the same result? Somehow connect the multiple B flows that importing master pages creates?h

--Lynne

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How can I add a body-page flow to an existing document?

Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can easily create a document with two connected flows on the body pages. For example, I can create a new Portrait document and add an autoconnected flow tagged B to its Right master page. Once I've done so, I can go back to the body page and start to put content into either or both flows. As expected, FM adds new pages as needed. Flow A on p. 1 connects to Flow A on p. 2; Flow B on p. 1 connects to Flow B on p. 2; succeeding pages. The content on one flow may fit in fewer pages than that of the other. Also as expected, pages may become empty if I delete content and when I save the document, FM discards the empty pages.

Suppose, however, that I have an existing multi-page document with Flow A but not Flow B. If I import master pages from the new document with both flows, I get both flows on every page. However, Flow B on one page is not connected to Flow B on the next page. There are several ways to see that they are not connected:

1. Text symbols display an end-of-flow symbol in Flow B on every page.

2. I can insert content into Flow B on a page other than page 1.

3. If I add more content than will fit on one page into Flow B on page 1, FM adds additional pages between pages 1 and the original page 2 to hold the overflow.

If I copy all the content in the original one-flow document to the clipboard, I can paste it into an empty two-flow document. The result is a two-flow document in which Flow A has the original content and Flow B is empty but connects page to page. I can use Save As to replace the original file with this two-flow version.

Is there a way to modify the original document and obtain the same result? Somehow connect the multiple B flows that importing master pages creates?h

--Lynne

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 21, 2018 0
Contributor ,
Jun 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suppose, however, that I have an existing multi-page document with Flow A but not Flow B. If I import master pages from the new document with both flows, I get both flows on every page. However, Flow B on one page is not connected to Flow B on the next page.

FM 2017: I can confirm this behaviour:

By connecting two text frames, you only get a single Flow B:

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 23, 2018 0
Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lothar,

You are correct. Once created, the flows can be connected. The effort involved to do so manually, however, is not practical for a large number of pages. Copying the content of each original document into a new one is easier. For a large number of documents, either approach needs to be automated either with a script or a plugin.

--Lynne

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 25, 2018 0