• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I embed a table into a table in FrameMaker 12?

New Here ,
Jan 26, 2016 Jan 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Step/Action table that requires embedding an If/Then table into the Action column. The Insert Table command in the Table tab is disabled when my cursor is inside the existing Step/Action table.

Where is the functionality hidden?

Any insight is much appreciated!

Kathy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 27, 2016 Jan 27, 2016

I agree with FieryPantone‌, that "Table in Table" is not the best concept. From an information architecture point of view I would avoid to create a table for a Step/Action sequence. You might want to have a look at DITA's stepsection, steps, step and task elements as an inspiration on how this concept is done there.

That said: FrameMaker does not support "Table in Table". However, you can anchor a text frame within a cell and then put a table into this text frame. Like this:

Table-in-Table.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Jan 26, 2016 Jan 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you just need to work with colspans and rowspans to set up something that looks like a table inside a table …

fwiw, nesting tables doesn't sound like something I'd want to do – I've seen it (a long time ago) in Information Mapping files prepared in Word, and it made my toes curl :-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2016 Jan 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with FieryPantone‌, that "Table in Table" is not the best concept. From an information architecture point of view I would avoid to create a table for a Step/Action sequence. You might want to have a look at DITA's stepsection, steps, step and task elements as an inspiration on how this concept is done there.

That said: FrameMaker does not support "Table in Table". However, you can anchor a text frame within a cell and then put a table into this text frame. Like this:

Table-in-Table.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2016 Jan 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: FrameMaker does not support "Table in Table". However, you can anchor a text frame within a cell and then put a table into this text frame.

You can also fake it by adding extra rows and columns, and doing straddles around it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2016 Jan 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Stefan! FrameMaker is completely new to me - and my team - (so far, we are just working with unstructured documents), so you may see me back here again before too long.

Kathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I highly recommend that you scoop up a copy of the FM bible – Publishing Fundamentals by Matt Sullivan – invaluable reference material for FM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I can recommend mattrsullivan book (with contributions from frameexpert) as well. It's a great resource and worth every penny.

The latest edition also covers FrameMaker 2015 and is available on amazon (ISBN-10: 0996715797).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2016 Feb 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephan has shown you the way many folks get around that Fm shortcoming related to tables within tables. Among the things that can get boggled is autonumbering, so if you're numbering content within your nested table, keep an eye on this.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With structured content, the table in a text frame in a table does not work. And I truly do not believe that unstructured content is something you should even want to create or maintain in the 21st century.

Basically, there are two options when you encounter the supposed need for a nested table:

1. Rethink your content modeling strategy. Tables in tables should never be required.

2. Create a single table and use straddles to make it look like a nested table. 

After having gone through the hassle of the second solution, you will find a way to avoid these monsters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines