• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can i get my variables or conditional text to update on multiple documents while just updating or controlling one of the variables

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can i get my variables or conditional text to update on multiple documents while just updating or controlling one of the variables.....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Ok, so then once you've changed it in 1 doc, use that first doc to update all the other docs with that variable. Use the Import > Formats - Variable Definitions setting to spray it through all parts of the book.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most solutions I've seen involve maintaining separate docs for each variable set & then importing the variables into all docs in your book structure. Then set the show/hide settings on the book for the conditional text..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So for example: Every time i update the variable to change the name or value, it only changes on the document that the variable was created...

I'm using an unstructured document with conditional text just on one template, but if i want to have a separate document that feeds into several documents and when i make i change to it, i would like it to update on the other documents...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so then once you've changed it in 1 doc, use that first doc to update all the other docs with that variable. Use the Import > Formats - Variable Definitions setting to spray it through all parts of the book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will check that out and see where it goes, thanks for your time!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is what it was, thanks again now to build a nice template...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

See also the great tip by Arnis on using a MIF Snippet for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines