• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I use Roman Numerals format for page numbers

Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a specific section of a book that needs to be paged using Roman Numeric style. I can only figure out how to do regular numbers. Any help would be greatly appreciated ! Using FM13

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

After some searching, Barb Binder had the answer:

Format > Document > Numbering... > Page [tab] > Format [Dropdown] > "roman (xiv)"

sorry about that!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Did you take the intro class with me, the advanced class, or both? Books, book numbering, TOC are all covered in the Advanced class, but of course, you have the book for both. Chapter 11 addresses this (and some of your other questions). That said:

I'm not familiar with the process of book level control of the page numbers.

to address the question at hand, you can see the numbering for the entire book in the book window, and can update the numbering here as well. Select all the files, and look at

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After some searching, Barb Binder had the answer:

Format > Document > Numbering... > Page [tab] > Format [Dropdown] > "roman (xiv)"

sorry about that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha! Glad I could help!

Are you good to go? And you know you want to control page numbers at the book level, right?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My current project is to compile multiple instructions over three separate intervals. So in my head, I have a front matter with TOC, a page to show which instruction documents have changes, introduction material and definitions for how-to use the instructions, Then VOL 1 and its set of documents, VOL 2 and docs, and finally VOL 3 and its related material. What's the best way to parse out the TOC to represent the divisions? I might know, but I'd need to add more tags to the template... also I'm not to use page numbers per se because each instruction can be distributed to necessary roles. My TOC as of now, only displays, the Doc number, the title, and how many pages each doc is. I tried to use doc page counts to populate the TOC but I am unable to manipulate the order of information in the output TOC file. why?

Your class I was in a couple of years back was largest growth period learning FM... you are still my sensei!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you take the intro class with me, the advanced class, or both? Books, book numbering, TOC are all covered in the Advanced class, but of course, you have the book for both. Chapter 11 addresses this (and some of your other questions). That said:

to address the question at hand, you can see the numbering for the entire book in the book window, and can update the numbering here as well. Select all the files, and look at the bottom left. When you want to update the numbering, just right click one or more files in the book window and choose Numbering > Page.

VMware Fusionss_005.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I took both, I was the student who was tasked to create the templates from the ground up to distribute to writers on my team. I think it turned out pretty decent! They were able to use the specific tags I gave them to create a consistent looking instruction set... only problem remains is making everyone's grammar and sentence structure the same!

Chapter 11 is the Understanding Master Pages? I'll need to run through that again and find out what I need to do to get everything where I need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's awesome! (And I never recognize students who don't log in the forums with their actual names—you're incognito!)

Chapter 11 is books, TOC and numbering. Check out chapter 4 for master pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please advise how to do this in Adobe Acrobat DC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Barb's explains, this is all done in FM, not Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shane:

You can set the page numbers in Acrobat Standard or Pro via the panel menu in the Page Thumbnails panel > Page Labels. If you need more details on the Acrobat workflow, please ask on the Editing & Exporting PDFs forum. This is the FrameMaker forum.

~Barb

Screenshot 2018-08-30 07.01.24.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks for posting the solution to your own question!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines