• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I access file which says I have no permission to edit it?

Explorer ,
May 03, 2016 May 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a book file that I generated a few years ago on FM 7 or earlier, but now am using FM 10.  The file comes up OK, but I cannot edit it because it says that "I do not have permission".  How do I get permission to edit and save this file? 

Earle Fox

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Thanks.  The problem appears to be solved by my extra copy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EarleFox,

Have You checked whether the file is Read-Only?

Is it on a network and You have lost permissions?

Yust the very primitive questions which nevertheless are often forgotten.

Klaus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Klaus, 

I have not used FM for a couple of years and have forgotten a lot.  Where do I find (or get a choice) on whether the file is read only or editable?  I would not have deliberately saved it that way.

It is not on a network.  It has just been sitting a couple of years on my hard drive.

Earle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> Where do I find (or get a choice) on whether the file is read only or editable?  I would not have deliberately saved it that way.

ErleFox, ReadOnly is a file property which can be found with right-klick on the file name in the File Explorer (Windows Explorer). At the bottom of the context menu you see Properties, which you select. At the bottom of the tab General you see Attributes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks.  The problem appears to be solved by my extra copy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi EarleFox:

Did you try clicking the Padlock icon on the Quick Access toolbar? It's a toggle, though it sure doesn't look like it.

VMware Fusionss_001.png

Alternatively, close the file and look in the folder where the file is saved. If you see a corresponding file with an .lck extension, delete it. Fm leaves these lock files behind when it crashes while the files are open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the try, but neither work.  I can click on the "lock" icon, which changes whether I can edit the file, but then when I edit and close the file, it will not save the edits.   I get a message  when I click to close the file: "Cannot open 'file...'  for writing".  Any other ideas?

Earle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. So no lock file in the folder with the same name as the one you want to edit? I wondering about file and folder permissions (as per K.Daube^^). You can check in Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help, everyone.  I found another copy of the book which I think will  work OK.  If not, I will be back. 

Earle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines