• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I add a cross reference but change the inline word to something other than the cross ref marked words?

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

What you want is usually termed a "spot cross reference", which would perhaps ideally be implemented as a Marker of definition $markertext, but FM doesn't have this feature, despite it being a wishlist item for a couple of decades.

Reportedly, if you're using Structured Frame, there's an Element workaround.

For unstructured Frame, here's an old discussion with multiple work-arounds (one of which I'm still using in a current project).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you want is usually termed a "spot cross reference", which would perhaps ideally be implemented as a Marker of definition $markertext, but FM doesn't have this feature, despite it being a wishlist item for a couple of decades.

Reportedly, if you're using Structured Frame, there's an Element workaround.

For unstructured Frame, here's an old discussion with multiple work-arounds (one of which I'm still using in a current project).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might add, that for that old discussion, the presumption would then have been workflow to PDF or paper. For PDF, a goal might have been for the Xref to be usefully hypertext (and some weren't, such as the Ref Page hack).

Nowawadays, workflow to HTML, eBook or XML could also be requirements, if not priorities. How the various legacy work-arounds for spot-Xref function in those workflows would need some testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an active feature request for this? I can see where it would be very useful and would like to vote for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Never mind. I found it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines