• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I create a document using the Varient format? What edition is this available in?

Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I create a document using the Variant format? What edition is this available in?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is "the Varient format"? Never heard of it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using one source manual and then using it to make off shoot manuals. So, for example, I have 10 manuals that share a lot of common text, it would be easier to go to the source document and make one change rather than going to all 10 and making the very same change. I've never heard of it either, a branch of my company in Switzerland suggested I use it. I don't think they are referring to "conditional" text because that wouldn't make sense for the amount of complications that would introduce. So I'm wondering myself what it would be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like “text insets” to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

re: That sounds like “text insets” to me.

And those work effectively for simple cases, especially matter that can be referenced as plain text;

File > Import > File {browse} [Import]
Text [Convert]
(●) Treat Each Line as a Paragraph

Updating of Imported Text:
(●) Automatic
[Import]

perhaps copyright, trademark and warranty statements.

Pulling in formatted elements can get trickier, unless fonts and formats are consistent enterprise-wide.

Xrefs into/out-of, autonumbers, insets with their own imports, etc. may raise intractable problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines