Highlighted

How do I create links from the middle of 1 PDF to another?

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question has been asked before (in 2013!), but is still marked unanswered. So, once again:

I have a FM book, let's call it "Basics", which should include a lot of references to a PDF doc (which is NOT FM-based), let's call it "Supplement.pdf". When I print "Basics.book" to "Basics.pdf", I can add so-called deep links from "Basics.pdf" to "Supplement.pdf" using Acrobat DC. No Problem with that, but when I update "Basics.book" and have to produce "Basics.pdf" once again, all the linking gets lost, of course.

So, all I want to do is place these links in the FM documents included in "Basics.book" and propagate them to "Basics.pdf". According to a sample table entry on the Adobe FM web help, the gotolink syntax of FM should support named targets. But apparently it doesn't, since the referenced document always opens on the first page, and not on the page the target refers to.

I'm using FM 2015 (structured), and yes, the target I'm trying to refer to does exist in the other PDF file, and yes, I know it's case-sensitive (I simply copied its name from the target PDF to the FM Dialog box to avoid a typo).

Any suggestions how i could proceed?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How do I create links from the middle of 1 PDF to another?

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question has been asked before (in 2013!), but is still marked unanswered. So, once again:

I have a FM book, let's call it "Basics", which should include a lot of references to a PDF doc (which is NOT FM-based), let's call it "Supplement.pdf". When I print "Basics.book" to "Basics.pdf", I can add so-called deep links from "Basics.pdf" to "Supplement.pdf" using Acrobat DC. No Problem with that, but when I update "Basics.book" and have to produce "Basics.pdf" once again, all the linking gets lost, of course.

So, all I want to do is place these links in the FM documents included in "Basics.book" and propagate them to "Basics.pdf". According to a sample table entry on the Adobe FM web help, the gotolink syntax of FM should support named targets. But apparently it doesn't, since the referenced document always opens on the first page, and not on the page the target refers to.

I'm using FM 2015 (structured), and yes, the target I'm trying to refer to does exist in the other PDF file, and yes, I know it's case-sensitive (I simply copied its name from the target PDF to the FM Dialog box to avoid a typo).

Any suggestions how i could proceed?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 25, 2016 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See: How do I create links from the middle of 1 PDF to another?

Search the forum for "framemaker pdf deep link" for more.

It can be done, but it's not automagical, unless versions of FM subsequent to those discussions have changed the way Named Destinations are handled.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2016 0