• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I format PDF output from DITA?

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2016 Mar 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am evaluation FrameMaker. I produced a DITA document that publishes well to HTML formats.

But when I publish to PDF, I don't like the format.

It seems no matter what I do to change paragraph and character formats in WYSIWYG view,

the changes don't stick, but instead revert to the default formats.

What do I need to do to get the PDF output to keep the formatting I set?

Is there a specific template that must be changed?

Thanks for your help.

-Lee

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2016 Mar 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to modify the template that your DITA structured application uses for the topic.  I also use composite documents to generate DITA for a full map -- the ditamap template also must be updated.

FrameMaker uses an EDD to map structure to formatting.  You might need to modify that EDD to control some of the formatting changes and then import the EDD into your template.  You also might need to modify the paragraph format catalog in the template.  Then, when Maker opens the DITA topic, it flows the XML into the template, and that should show your changes.

I'm not giving much detail here...  All this is covered in the FrameMaker documentation.  In my opinion this is easier than using open source DITA tools to set up PDF output.  BUt it does take some work.

Hope this helps...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to have a look at this blog article on customizing FM DITA templates: [Guest Post] “Customize FrameMaker 2015 DITA Templates for your Corporate Design” by Bernard Aschwan...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Arnis Gubins this was exactly what I was looking for -- when I open structured topics, they are formatted correctly.

(I edited the templates in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\AdobeFrameMaker2015\Structure\xml\DITA_1.2\app\technicalContent\template).

But when I save to PDF, it still reverts to some other template. Do you know which one it's using?

Thanks again for your help, Arnis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2016 May 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem when I was evaluating FrameMaker.

Although you're using the DITA_1.2 files, FrameMaker still looks at the \xml\DITA folder for outputting maps. Try editing:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\AdobeFrameMaker2015\Structure\xml\DITA\outputTemplates\ditabase.template.fm

I'm using DITA 1.3, so in order to get the PDF to format correctly, I had to edit:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\AdobeFrameMaker2015\Structure\xml\DITA\outputTemplates\ditabase1.3.template.fm

Interestingly, if you delete the xml\DITA folder (rename it would be better), Framemaker is forced to use:

DITA_1.3\app\technicalContent\template\ditabase.template.fm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have modified the Framemaker templates according to our corporate style. But when I generated the PDF, the default template (DITA OT plugin) is used. How do we generate the PDF using modified templates of FM?. I used save DITA-MAP as fm components option to generate the bookfile. Again when I save it as PDF, all the individual topic/concepts are created in a separate page. I want to get the PDF output which will have each chapter starting from a new page and individual task/concept topics merging in a respective chapter.

Can anyone help me ? I did read the blog mentioned above. But it only talks about modifying the FM templates. But how do we populate the same in PDF output ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue and nothing I try gets FM to use the templates I created. Anybody have the answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you saving the FrameMaker book as PDF? Did you use File > Publish? Or File > Save As PDF? Both of those should give you WYSIWYG output from FrameMaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Publish.

I can produce the pdf but it uses the default dita template. I created new settings file and checked with components, but it still uses the default.

Btw, this is not the subject of my email but is related.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Get Outlook for Android<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lee,

Did you get the answer for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines