• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get rid of the "unavailable fonts" error?

Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I open framemaker documents that were created by another writer I get the "unavailable fonts" error. I have tried the tip in the help about deselecting the 'remember missing font names' preference option but it doesn't work. I have the missing fonts installed on my c-drive, how do I get Framemaker to recognise them?

Regards,

Niall.

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the fonts installed in Windows? It’s not enough for them just to be on the C drive: there is a font installation procedure. Do they show up in FrameMaker’s font selection list? In other programs? What is the name of the fonts that FrameMaker says are missing? Does it correpsond exactly with the name of those you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks that seems to have worked.

Niall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finding and installing the missing font works, of course. But if you can't, or don't care (e.g., a missing font used on a Reference page for a 'mere' label) then:

How to make Framemaker ignore missing fonts in a file:

Note:  This process assumes Framemaker 8, but I don't think the process is any different from FM 6 to 10.

1. Launch Framemaker.
  2. Select File > Preferences > General.
  3. Uncheck Remember Missing Font Names.
  4. Open, save, and close the affected file.

You will not get the error for that file anymore. Going forward, you will get the error only one more time for each other affected file (assuming that you resave such a file after opening it).

HTH;

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 20, 2014 Jan 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a NOTE.....in Framemaker 11 the path would be:

Edit>Preferences>General

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Color error in FM11.JPG

Can anyone help me with all these color inconsistent issues.  This is true for every file in this book and i KNOW NOTHING about this color stuff......only require black and white and that is the setting i use with my "printer set-up"!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Print setting for color ...

Just means that View > Color > Definitions is not set up identically for colors of the same name in different files. I would elect one of the files to be the respository for such settings (assuming cover.fm for this example).

File > Import > Formats

[ Deselect all ]

• Color Defs
  • Conditional Test Settings
  • [ Import ]

Repeat for all book component files until the cover.fm contains all the defs from all the files.

It probably doesn't matter what the print settings should be, because it looks like they've been inconsistent for some time. From the Book menu,

select all the other component files. File > Import > Formats

[ Deselect all ]

• Color Defs
  • Conditional Test Settings
  • Now they're at least consistent.

The Conditional settings have their own problems. "ConditionName" is a default name, suggesting that someone started to create a Condition, and never completed the process.

"Notes to TW" indicates that you need to find out what Condition Codes are supposed to be on and off. Chances are, with those names, all off for pub, and all of for review, unless TW is still around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Explorer ,
    Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks David artman designs.

I also had to access Edit/Preferences/Alerts (underneath General) and uncheck File contains unavailable fonts to get rid of the pesky popup. I use Arial throughout my documents which is a standard font.

Is there no way to run a report of some type to find rogue fonts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    New Here ,
    Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this did not correct my problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if it is a strange font or one you know you haven't used, a better idea is to search for the character format using that particular font, and remove it, or change it to a font you do have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Explorer ,
    May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not always as simple as all that, though, Robnurflugel. You'd have to search on Ref, Master, and Body pages, too (overrides, donchaknow).

And realize that FM *does* change the font to one you have, using font substitution (probably one that looks a LOT like the missing one!). It's just that it also tries to remember the old, missing font, too (if the option I turn off above remains on) and so the problem is never fixed permanently. So it's not like the missing font turns into nothingness or MS Comic Sans.

And if we're talking about a missing font in a template that has been propegated to, oh, a few hundred files over the years... yeah. *I* wouldn't try to Find all of the instances and manually correct them, when I have a tool trying to do it for me automatically if I'd just let it. YMMV....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Contributor ,
    May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're right, if this is your first document with a template someone else has provided, the method I mentioned will work well. If you are at the end of production, other methods may appeal. I've found that the missing fonts usually appear in grey in the catalog when the right character style has been found, so it is easy to tell if that is a missing font or not, rather than the substitution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do you do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cmjscreen, this very old thread seems to be discussing two separate problems. Missing fonts and inconsistent color definitions. Which one is causing you a problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Definitely better to start a new thread, as much of the things discussed in this thread are outdated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines