• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I make a chm file open full screen, or last saved size

Contributor ,
Jun 14, 2016 Jun 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been creating chm files using FrameMaker2015, and all of them open up in a small window in the corner.

I've hunted through all the settings to find a window option, to no avail.

Is there something I need to add to my HTML template page, or is there a source file I need to edit somewhere?

Using the previous software combo, the chm opened in whatever size it was last time it was opened.

TOPICS
Publishing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Thanks, Robnurflugel​. One of our customers wrote a defect ticket against our docs in regard to this issue. I'd like Adobe to explain to HIM why it's an enhancement.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Jun 15, 2016 Jun 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file to edit is the Microsoft HTML Help project template (*.hhp) file. You should find this in the FrameMaker 2015 program directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\AdobeFrameMaker2015\fminit\RH_DEFAULT_PROJECT\RH_DEFAULT_PROJECT.hhp

Make a backup copy of this file. I did not get a chance to test this with FrameMaker 2015, but I've done this in other HTML Help publishing systems.

Open this with file with Microsoft HTML Help Workshop.

Add and Edit a Window Type.

You will see a Position tab in the Window Types dialog box.

Type in a Left, Top, Width, and Height values. Click OK.

Save the project file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 15, 2016 Jun 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Tom,

Seems I was heading in the right direction when I was looking in there yesterday, however, FrameMaker seems to ignore whatever changes I make to the file, and the HTML help workshop refuses to save the project file. FrameMaker generates the hhp file on the fly, as if you can quickly grab it out of the temp folder as the CHM is being generated, it looks a lot different to how the RH_DEFAULT_PROJECT file does. The HTML help workshop seems to be a little twitchy with what it likes you to change as well.

It would be nice for more options to be included for the HTML help setup (in FrameMaker) as I know i'm not alone in still working with help in this format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those looking to upgrade to FM2017, this has not changed, the .HHP file is still generated on the fly. Even the FrameMaker help file CHM opens to the tiny left corner of the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am pulling my hair out, trying to figure out a way to prevent the CHM from opening in that small window in the corner. Were you able to resolve the issue, Robnurflugel​? I'm using FrameMaker 2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry GrayBugs I didn't find a way around this issue. I logged it with Adobe, and they responded by saying it's an enhancement request. The alternative we have is to go back to our old method, and use third part software to create our help file, until they fix the mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Robnurflugel​. One of our customers wrote a defect ticket against our docs in regard to this issue. I'd like Adobe to explain to HIM why it's an enhancement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know exactly where you are coming from, our customers have done that too. I think it will be a long time before we can mark that as resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, I, too, reported a defect: Bug Id: FRMAKER-2945

Robnurflugel​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if they changed it to just remember where the user had moved it to, and what size they dragged the window to, it would be a help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We now have a workaround for this bug, with no assistance from Adobe being forthcoming.

When creating the CHM file, a temporary folder is created by FM to store all the files used in the creation of the CHM.

After the source files have been processed, and both the TOC and index created, this folder populates with all the files including the .HHP file. There is a window of time where this file can be opened, modified, and saved. It requires good timing to do it on the fly, or drag it somewhere else, modify it, and republish (dropping it over the top of the created one second time around).

The information about which flags to set depends on your setup, but the display flags can be found here 5.6. INI formats .

GrayBugs​

This is by no means a method you want to use if you are publishing 20 times a day, but for a final version it 'works' a treat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folks,

I am a newbie to the world of authoring and am trying to create a chm from an online help (Robohelp 11). Like all the people on the internet and on this forum, I am trying to create the chm so that it opens maximised, but it doesn't . The best I have been able to achieve is change the resolution to maximum window size(height : 763, Width : 1023) , and under Advanced properties -> Styles tab selected the Maximize checkbox. This makes the help have maximum spread height wise, but width wise, it only covers half the screen.

Anybody has any clue why Robohelp chooses to ignore the maximize settings ?

Any help in this will be extremely appreciated .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It sounds like you are using a widescreen monitor, and the resolution settings you mention are for a standard ratio monitor. IF you are using Robohelp, you might find more help in the Robohelp area of the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines