• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I make a cross-reference link target appear at the bottom of the page instead of the top?

Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2018 Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy Friday!

This is a simple problem, but for some reason it's still beating me.  I am not a FrameMaker Samurai yet, more like a brown belt, if that helps!

Here's the scenario:

I have 70+ Figure Titles with images right above them throughout the document, and in my Appendix section, I created a neat little Figure Reference table with the Figure Titles (Figure X-Y) in one column, and the description in the other column.  What I want to happen is for the user to click on a figure Title and be transported into the document where the title is placed at the bottom of the page, allowing the image to be viewed.  What's happening now that I don't know how to fix is that the target shows up at the top of the page when you click the link to it, so the image is on the next page above, out of sight.

What setting am I missing here? 

Happy Friday everyone!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jumping to an xref puts it at top of page.

This is why it's 10x easier to put titles above the image, and place an anchor within the title.

No easy answer exists for your question, sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I have ever done a manual where the image title was above the image...?

FT.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you put a cross-reference marker above the image & then create your xref to it instead?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see why not; I just wanted to do it the right way, I figured there had to be a way in FrameMaker to change that target location to show up at the bottom of the page upon the link jump rather than just the top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I'm confused - I don't use much in the way of images and don't have any titles on them (above or below). But when I make an xref to some marker or paragraph tag, it just jumps to exactly where the "T" character is placed at the start of that paragraph tag or to the exact marker location. How is your xref set up that it's not behaving that way too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because the cross reference here is the Figure Title at the bottom of an illustration...  instead of that cross reference, in this case the illustration's title (Figure X-Y), I want that cross-reference to appear at the bottom of the page when someone clicks on the reference back to it in thew table of figure titles I created.  I don't want the figure title to appear at the top of the page when I am transported to it, I want it to appear at the bottom of the page when I click on a reference to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So using your example above, you have some other doc that acts as a reference launch pad has the text "Figure 3-37: blah blah Number Identification" - you click on that, it jumps to the other doc where it would show TFigure 3-37: blah blah Number Identification. Right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, but:

Instead of the "Figure 3-37: yadda yadda" showing up at the bottom of the page where I want it to jump to and show the image with the Figure title at the bottom of that page, it jumps to the TOP of the page and the image is above that, causing the user to have to scroll up or even figure out where they are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, ok, I think I get it - in that case I would definitely place a marker above the image to act as the target destination of the xref from the table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember that you'll need to manually manage the marker text to maintain your appendix. Add up the extra time spent entering and managing, along with the potential time spent correcting errors in marker text and manual numbering issues, and you'll see why I suggested moving titles above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

fwiw, I agree entirely about the place for a figure caption … and also remember the old adage that software should work the way people work, not force them to change their way of working. Pure speculation, since I haven't run into this particular snag myself, but does "keep with previous" – which works nicely when you're writing – have any useful effect? I'm assuming we're talking about a .pdf deliverable rather than letting users loose in fm source files …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,

You say, "I have 70+ Figure Titles with images right above them throughout the document". Are the images in anchored frames? Is the anchor for each frame in the same paragraph or a different paragraph as the corresponding Figure Title?

You go on to say, "I created a … table with the Figure Titles (Figure X-Y) in one column"  Are you using cross-references to insert the Figure Titles into the table?

Later you say "What's happening now … is that the target shows up at the top of the page when you click the link to it, so the image is on the next page above, out of sight." Do you mean that the figure title shows up at the top of the screen with the annotated image on the preceding screen?

I've done a bit of testing this morning and it seems that when you traverse a cross-reference in FM, FM always displays the first line of the linked paragraph with as much of the paragraph as fits on the screen. It also displays as much of the preceding content on the page as will fit above the linked paragraph. If you want to see both the graphic and the Title, if you make sure they are in the same paragraph, you may get what you want.

-- Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines