• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I make the document title show up in the PDF header tab?

Participant ,
Mar 05, 2019 Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to be able to set the text that appears in the title tab for PDFs when they open, and have this text be different to the filename.2019-03-05_11-33-21.png

How do you do this?

Ideally I want a way to populate this field based on the bookmap file I start from, second best would be from imported variables. I'm just not sure what to set (in Word the Title property controls it, but manually setting File info > Title, then doing save as PDF from an fm file didn't work, so I'm confused), and how to make that apply to the final PDF...

Help appreciated

Kat

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering , Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kat,

When you want to display the document title in the title bar, then you must change the Show setting in Acrobat in the Document Properties (in the File menu or just press CTRL+D) in the Initial View tab.

When you change from File to Document Title the Title value from File info is displayed.

Also the next files which you open will display their Title values.

I do not know, if you can set this Show property via pdfmarks, so that you could set this in FrameMaker via a PostScript text frame. I did not find anything in the pdfmark documents on the web.

I'd say that this is something which the user does or does not.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kat,

I had to change the initinal view settings for about 400 files. Therefore I tried to find more infos about this issue.

Acrobat has "Actions" which you can configure to do something for single files or folders of files.

There are some predefined actions, but also some which you can download. And there is also one to change the initial view settings and also the Show Title setting which you need.

See here:

https://acrobatusers.com/actions-exchange

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/action-wizard-acrobat-pro.html

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winfried,

I only have acrobat reader, not acrobat pro, and it does not include this option. Is there no way to set it in FrameMaker?  The PDFs I generate in Word that contain titles show the title by default, I would like the FrameMaker generated PDFs to do the same.

Thanks for your help!

Kat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2019 Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning,

In Frame 2019, you can set the PDF tab title using "File Info" in the book file.

1. Open the book file and choose File > File Info. The File Info window opens.
  2. In the Title field, type the tab title.
  3. Choose Set to commit the change. Save the file.

Now, when you generate the PDF, the new title should appear in the PDF tab title.

I hope this helps

-Forest

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I see, Acrobat Standard DC behaves differently depending on the PDF publishing engine. When I open a PDF published by the new-for-FM 2019 native PDF publishing engine, the content from the FM 2019 > File > File Info > Title field appears in the Windows title bar. However, when I open a PDF published by Distiller, the file name appears in the Windows title bar. In both cases, though, the content from the FM 2019 > File > File Info > Title field appears in Acrobat Standard DC > File > Properties > Title.

Before you ask, I am using Distiller because it publishes documents with file sizes 10-33% compared to the native PDF publishing engine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now see that, when I open a PDF published by Distiller in Google Chrome, the content from the FM 2019 > File > File Info > Title field does appear as the docment title in the browser tab and in the browser window.

Maybe it's an Acrobat Standard-specific issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Get this, though: When I open PDFs from either engine in SharePoint using Google Chrome, the file name appears as the docment title in the browser tab and in the browser window - not the content from the FM 2019 > File > File Info > Title field.

Funny.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines