• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I make the FrameMaker 2019 Templates directory writeable so that I can create and save custom templates to it?

Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System (currently) Windows 7, but I also need an answer that applies to Windows 10.

I've always saved my custom templates to the ...\Adobe FrameMaker \Templates directory so that they are easily available when I want to create a new document from a custom template. This makes templates easy to find, prevents inadvertent changes when I'm creating new documents, and also ensures that I am always using the most current version template.

Since Windows 7, though, there's this thing called User Account Control that is playing hob with all sorts of things, including my ability to update the template files. FrameMaker 2019 is now giving me the following message, even though I have FrameMaker 2019 set to run as administrator by default.

I do not want to have to hunt all over my hard drive for my template files. I want them in the default template directory so that when I click "New from Template", I can use my custom templates or one of Adobe's. What, precisely, do I need to do so that I can do this? Does FrameMaker have the ability to add an additional, supplemental folder for custom template that isn't located in the Program Files hierarchy?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You must switch off the locking in the preferences: Lock Files on Network

Then FrameMaker does not try to save the lck file in the template directory.

Do you have any referenced graphics on the reference or master pages of your template?

Then the path of your new file will always be the path of your template.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I wonder why it creates lock files for documents stored on the local hard drive, though?

I'm going to have to go with my current workaround, I guess, which is to keep a duplicate set elsewhere, edit the duplicate set, and copy them into the Templates directory, although being able to change the location of the default Template directory would be a better choice. (My co-writer and I rarely work on the same files at the same time, but caution suggests having the files locked while being worked on is a good idea, and if I change that preference it affects all the files.)

I suppose this is really a Windows thing and that they're trying to protect users from themselves. Which is all well and good, but it would be nice if it were easy to turn that protection OFF when it's not needed. <sigh>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can always log in as a local admin, right click on your c:\ drive and give yourself full control over all files & folders in there - aka the bootstrap route ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Current solution:

Run Windows Explorer in Elevated (Administrator) Mode, then copy the template files from their current location to the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2019\Templates directory. Once they're in the right place, they're updateable.

But, Jeff_Coatsworth​, I'll keep your suggestion in mind. I know the UAC is for protection against mistakes and malware, but it surely does get in the way sometimes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With FM2019, Instead of editing output template at installer location.

You can now import your output templates into the settings file itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, but I'm not using DITA, I'm using unstructured FM.

At any rate, I did resolve the issue by using Explorer to open each files Properties and modify the security permissions to give me full access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines