• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I number consecutive figures starting from a specific number?

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using FM 15 version 13.0.0.333 and I'm having numbering issues.

This is my dilemma and I realize I must be missing something somewhere.

I have a set of figures and tables that must be inserted into an existing document behind the existing figures in consecutive order, starting with 146. I thought that I could use the formatting-

Figure <$sectionnum>-<n=146>: 

for the first figure and then the following figures should show autonumbering like-

Figure <$sectionnum>-<n+>:

But that has not worked. Is there something I'm missing here?

Best,

Leanna Gable

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leanna,

It doesn't affect the numbering, but I'd recommend updating to 13.0.x via the Help menu...the patch releases can help with many minor things and also provide additional functionality.

For your numbering, it appears you have an unlabeled series. If so, another unlabeled series may be interfering with your work.

Are you seeing other paragraphs that have odd numbering behavior, or paragraphs with numbering between 146 and 147? One of those is likely the culprit.

2 things:

• you should be able to use the numbering string associated with Figure 145 to continue the numbering to 146
  • if you isolate all your figure titles with a series indicator (something like F:) then you'll get more predictable results in the long run

NOTE: In the short run, adjusting your paragraph formats may require some research and tinkering.

See my Fm 13 reference book, FrameMaker - Creating and Editing Content for more detail on autonumbering and autonumber series in FrameMaker 2015.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leanna:

FrameMaker uses levels to set up the numbering, and you have a 2-level set up here. What else are you numbering the document? Chapters? Tables? Equations? It's likely that your 2nd level has been defined elsewhere and that's causing the issue. You can handle document's paragraph numbering with a single series label once you understand the levels.

If haven't seen Matt's documentation—and it may well have already helped you solve this—but here is a post I wrote up for my students a while back that may help you troubleshoot the levels, if you still need it. I learned to express the levels as columns, so that is what I'm showing in the post.

Adobe FrameMaker: Numbered Headings, Continued - Rocky Mountain Training

If you have any questions, just ask us.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Leanna,

What does not work?

Can you describe in more detail, what the result is?

Which paragraphs are between figure 146 and the following figure?

Are the figure paragraphs in text frames? (These might mess the numbering.)

What are the paragraph names of your figure 146 and the following figures?

What happens, if the pagraph for 146+ comes just after 146?

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines