• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I open a Cross Ref link within a structured FM file?

Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2018 Oct 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working in FM 2019 32-bit, structuring my document as a Ditamap with nested topics. Links are going fine. When I write a PDF, the links work correctly (all internal links for the time being).

But when I am working in the FM file, I click on my links, yet I can't navigate to the clicked item. I try the "Go to Location" button for a listed link in the Cross References pod, and... nothing.

(My structured view indicates that all my elements are syntactically correct.)

I've got the same document saved as a Composite FM file. The same phenomenon there: the links seem to be fine, but I can't use them to navigate.

How do I navigate around??? thanks

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've tried double-clicking on the link right? For me that either opens the destination file or displays an error message if the link is broken. I checked my 2019 version and I'm not seeing any difference. Does it help if you recreate the link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I've tried double-clicking. This opens the Link dialog box. The links are, as far as I can see, correct. But there's no command there to actually open the linked heading.

In Unstructured Framemaker, double clicking a link opens the Cross Reference dialog box, with the handy "Go to Source" button. That's what I want to achieve in Structured.

(In Structured, I can open the Cross References pod. There, too, all my links are listed. There's a Go to Location button, but it doesn't do anything.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried selecting a link in the cross-reference pod and clicking 'go to location' and that doesn't work for me either. Double clicking a link in the fm doc does work (by opening the destination file) although it doesn't bring the destination file into focus. I tried clicking a link where the destination file is already open and it appears to do nothing. If you close any other files and then click the link does it open the destination file for you then?

Sorry I can't be more help than that. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again! Actually, I don't need to open a destination file... I want to navigate within a single file, based on the xrefs. It doesn't work for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find a solution to the xRef?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 05, 2019 Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines