• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I place a file (A) into a document (B) so that B updates automatically when A is edited?

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have hundreds of product manuals that all have a generic warning (A) at the beginning. I want to set up all of the manuals B) so that they reference the warning (A). Then when A gets updated, all of the manuals (B) will be updated automatically. One step beyond that, I would like to have a script that publishes updated PDFs for all of the manuals (B).

I am not familiar with Framemaker, but do have experience with InDesign, and in InDesign I would use the "Place" feature to place linked content into a parent document that would get updated when the parent document is opened.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

FrameMaker has the Text Inset, which works a lot like the Place command in InDesign.

First you create a new document that contains the warning A. Then you open each of your documents that needs to pull the warning in. Place the text cursor at the location where the warning should go. Then select File > Import > File and find the file that contains the warning. FrameMaker offers you some choices about the way to import that document. Choose the main flow of the doc, keep the link active and select

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrameMaker has the Text Inset, which works a lot like the Place command in InDesign.

First you create a new document that contains the warning A. Then you open each of your documents that needs to pull the warning in. Place the text cursor at the location where the warning should go. Then select File > Import > File and find the file that contains the warning. FrameMaker offers you some choices about the way to import that document. Choose the main flow of the doc, keep the link active and select automatic updating plus target formatting.

About scripting creation of PDFs - ask a separate question about it. Try to keep the topics separated so that future users have it easier when trying to find solutions for their problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Matt,

To add a bit to Jang's reply, when you create a text inset in one of your B files, you have the option of choosing to update the text inset manually or automatically. If you choose the Automatic radio button, every time you open B, it will update the text inset to show the current content of A. If you choose Manual, it will only update when you request the update with Edit > Update References.

In either case, none of the B files will be updated until they are opened. If you want to update them whenever A changes, you could probably create a book that contains all those files and update the book. You would need to remember to add new files to the book as they become available. Alternatively, you could automate (with a script or plugin) a process that looks for such files and updates them. You'd need to define a way to identify files that potentially contain A.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines