• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how do I turn off "use system fonts only" to make a PDF?

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2016 Jan 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to know how to do this, but I can't remember. I can't believe that this isn't just on the knowledge base, but I got no responses to my query.

TOPICS
PDF output

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In FM use File > Print Setup...

Select the AdobePDF printer instance and click on the Properties button.

In the Adobe PDF Settings tabs, de-select the "Rely on system fonts only; do not use document fonts" option.

AdobePDF_Properties.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I tried those steps and they had no effect with my ability to make a PDF at all.

What it turned out being is that I have to manually select AdobePDF as the printer every time I make a PDF. I didn’t used to have to do this, FrameMaker was smart enough to do it itself when I picked Save As PDF, but something about the updated combination of Adobe PDF and Framemaker has caused me to have to do this every time. It took me about two hours to figure this out the first time, and about an hour to remember it this time.

This is extremely inconvenient, and you’d think that since Adobe owns both products, they could handle it better. Since I only use FrameMaker occasionally anymore, I have to keep reminding myself how to do this every six months or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The AdobePDF printer instance needs to be the System default printer for this to work properly.

You can use the freebie SetPrint utility from Sundorne (see: Sundorne Communications - SetPrint ) to have this done automatically for the FM session only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but since I only make PDFs periodically and print to printers much more often (and I only have to select the AdobePDF printer in FrameMaker, not in Word), then that is an infeasible option. It would be better if Framemaker could make this work correctly again, as it did before.

However, I may look into the freebie, although in my experience when I have downloaded some freebies, I have also downloaded viruses, so I tend to avoid them on my work computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The SetPrint utility was explicitly designed for FM, is quite safe and has been around for years. Nowadays, any decent anti-virus app will also detect anything malicious in a user-requested download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines