• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I use a TOC as the cover page for a chapter (the template for a folder in a hierarchical book)?

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We create separate TOCs for each chapter in our manuals.  Some documents are used in different chapters in different books therefore I want to be able to use the folder name in the hierarchical book to populate the title in the TOC (by using <$chaptertitlename>) for that chapter.  However, in order to set that file as the template for that chapter's folder, I have to remove it from the book first and then set it as the template.  In this process I lose the link between the TOC and the book and my TOC no longer updates with the rest of the book.  Is there any way to relink the TOC after it's been removed from the book and set as the template (or prevent the link from being lost entirely)?

Thanks for your time,

Orion DeYoe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you need to use the MiniTOC function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was under the impression that MiniTOCs can only be generated for one document.  Am I mistaken?  Our chapters are made up of multiple documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's correct, MiniTOC only generates for the current file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need a way to generate a TOC for a whole folder (chapter) of documents and then use that file as the template for that folder, is that not possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try creating each chapter as a book so it has it's own stand alone TOC. Add these chapter/book files to your top level book. I've never had to do this because a "chapter" has always been a single file in all of my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you're looking to use the Folder and Template function within the book

Is that correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is correct.  The problem is that in order to select the "template" (in the dialog you have pictured), the file I'm using for the template has to be removed from the book.  That's not normally an issue if my template is just a simple title page but I want my chapter TOC to double as the cover page.  What seems to be happening is that the TOC loses its link to the book files when it is removed from the book so that when it is added as the template it will no longer update with the rest of the book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In FrameMaker - Working with Content I reference an Adobe blog post with a video.

FM9 Hierarchical Books: New variable – Adobe Technical Communication Blog

Have you watched this video yet?

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.  My issue isn't getting the <$chaptertitlename> variable to function correctly but that the standalone TOC loses its link to the book when it is removed and re-added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, now I understand your original question better!

Rather than removing the TOC, can you instead save the toc to something like TOC TEMPLATE.FM, and then use that file as the template?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm.

I just tried it, the copy (made via "save as") of the TOC (set as the folder template) doesn't update with the rest of the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The template file simply stores the formatting. It won't and shouldn't update.

In fact, it doesn't need to have any content in the file at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It (the file added as a template) prints with the rest of the book just as if it was a document added to the book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what Matt was saying was - don't add the template file as a file to the book - just use it to import formatting into your generated TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I'm not understanding you, but when I set the template file (by right-clicking on the folder and going to "properties") it will print/PDF with the rest of the book.  I don't have any control over that unless there's a setting I don't know about.  My understanding is that the folder template IS the cover page.  Even if the folder template is a blank document, it still gets included with the print/PDF job.  Note that this is the functionality I was expecting and does not interfere with what I'm trying to do provided there's a way to have a book-wide TOC on that cover page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt's probably tied up with organizing his FM templates course, but what I think he was getting at was that you take your existing TOC file that has the correct formatting you want to reuse and save it as a copy named (whatever he called it in that earlier post). The copy "lives" outside of your book - you only use it as a source of "good" formatting (by opening the "bad" file and the "good" file and doing an import of formats from the copy). The copy "lives" as a format template - it never gets included in a book & never gets printed/PDF'd with the book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to Framemaker so I'm probably not using the correct terminology in my explanations of my problem.  My issue doesn't have anything to do with formatting.  As far as I can tell, my formatting is working as it should.  My question is purely about being able to implement proper use of the <$chaptertitlename> variable and have a working TOC in the same document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe we need to see some screenshots of what you have currently and what you are trying to get.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Orion, Jeff's right...between getting ready for my next Fm Templates course and presenting for Adobe at this week's STC Summit, I have been laying low.

I'm actually on a flight right now, but will try to check back with you next week.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines