• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you bring a white image with a transparent background into Frame without a white box overlay?

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you import an image logo (that’s white) with a transparent background into Frame 2017 (Version: 14.0.0.361) without a white box overlay? And what settings should be used when exporting a transparent image from Photoshop/Illustrator to be received in FrameMaker without a white box?

I set transparency when exporting the image in numerous output formats and every time these images were imported into Frame they came in with white box. I also read once the image is imported to turn off fill—which I did and still no results.

It's hard for me to belief that importing an image with transparency can't be done in Frame, any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Hi Chris,

support for transparency was introduced in FrameMaker 2019. It is not supported in FrameMaker 2017.

You can download a free, fully functional 30-day trial of FrameMaker 2019 here:

https://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/download-trial/try.html

Kind regads,

Stefan Gentz

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

support for transparency was introduced in FrameMaker 2019. It is not supported in FrameMaker 2017.

You can download a free, fully functional 30-day trial of FrameMaker 2019 here:

https://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/download-trial/try.html

Kind regads,

Stefan Gentz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response.

Our team is not cited for an upgrade until next year. When we had FM on the MAC interface it seems to me we could incorporate transparent images, but lost the ability on the PC interface. Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2019 May 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You were likely working with EPS files.

A bitmap with an EPS saved with a clipping path will recognize areas outside the clipping path as transparent, per Be.eM's PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

I've been testing this with many FM versions, and described a way to use pixel images with transparent backgrounds, working in FrameMaker 9 and above. Should work fine with FM2017 as well. See this PDF.

Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really appreciate the assistance. chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used the Workpath » ClippingPath » PenNone
approach since FM4 or so, and it works, but it may only work for exterior clipping aound the art element, and not interior clipping inside it.

The FM2019 support for transparency may only work for the Publish path (which uses the new PDF engine). If someone is obliged to use the Save-as-PDF, or Save-as-Ps-and Distill, I've seen reports here that it still exhibits legacy behavior.

For a simple icon/logo/glyph (solid colors, manageable vector/curve count), I'd be tempted to re-create the element in FrameArt and add it to a Reference Page in the entity templates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines