Highlighted

How get index to work correctly?

Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using FM 10 on a book with index.  The indexing marks work correctly, but I am unable to edit the index because it acts frozen up.

The page numbers respond to a click and send me to the right page, etc.  But the words are impervious to the mouse click.

Also  the numbers do not conform to the same font size  as the words.  Numbers are 12 point and the words 9 point.  It should all be 9 point.  At the top of the page, there is no option for "view" so that I can go to master pages.  I have redone the index several times, wiped it out completely, but nothing changes.

I do not know whether the problem is in corrupted software or in the file I am working on.

Any ideas?

I have been doing indexes for several years and this has never happened before.

Earle Fox

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How get index to work correctly?

Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using FM 10 on a book with index.  The indexing marks work correctly, but I am unable to edit the index because it acts frozen up.

The page numbers respond to a click and send me to the right page, etc.  But the words are impervious to the mouse click.

Also  the numbers do not conform to the same font size  as the words.  Numbers are 12 point and the words 9 point.  It should all be 9 point.  At the top of the page, there is no option for "view" so that I can go to master pages.  I have redone the index several times, wiped it out completely, but nothing changes.

I do not know whether the problem is in corrupted software or in the file I am working on.

Any ideas?

I have been doing indexes for several years and this has never happened before.

Earle Fox

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 16, 2016 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try deleting the .lck file. I once had a file I couldn't edit and iirc this solved it. To reset the font size I have to Select the whole index, except the first heading, and click default font, then select the first header and use update all in the paragraph designer. Maybe there is a better way.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 21, 2016 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The number size is a feature, not a bug. You can change the look of the numbers independently from the text entry, and you might do so because the links are on individual numbers and you want to highlight them for the reader. You may not have noticed yet, but the separators will also be the wrong size. Change the para tags for both on the IX reference page:

VMware Fusionss_004.png

For example:

VMware Fusionss_005.png

changes the page numbers from:

VMware Fusionss_006.png

to

VMware Fusionss_007.png

Remember that reference page changes don't take effect until you update your book.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 21, 2016 0
Jun 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for the indexing, perhaps the file you are linking to is locked? Follow a link and check out the menu bar. An unlocked file looks like this:

VMware Fusionss_008.png

A locked file looks like this (note the very different menus):

VMware Fusionss_009.png

If the file is locked, click the golden padlock icon 7 icons from the left of both toolbars.

If the file is unlocked, then it's just a misunderstanding on how to edit an index marker.

• Special > Marker will open the Marker panel. Keep it open while editing!
  • Follow a hyperlink (Control Alt click a page number) and then don't do anything except direct your eyes to the Marker panel. Somewhere on the page a marker is selected but if you click you will deselect it.
    VMware Fusionss_010.png
  • Just click inside the Marker panel and edit the marker, or delete it.
  • Save the file, update the book to see the change reflected on the index.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 21, 2016 0
Jun 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the top of the page, there is no option for "view" so that I can go to master pages.

The file is locked!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 21, 2016 0