• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add UserString for a Marker object?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi colleagues

I am newbie to ExtendScript So as the title says How to add UserString for a Marker object?

My code is as below, but it does not add UserString to the Markers.

var doc = app.ActiveDoc;

var flow = doc.MainFlowInDoc;

var tbl = 0;

var textItems = flow.GetText(Constants.FTI_MarkerAnchor);

var s = "Number of Comments: " + textItems.len.toString();

alert(s)

for (var i = 0; i < textItems.len; i += 1)

{

$.write(textItems.obj.MarkerText);

s = "Comment: " + textItems.obj.MarkerText + " @ " + textItems.obj.TextLoc.offset.toString() + "\n"
        + textItems.obj.Unique;

GetUniqueObject(textItems.obj.Unique).UserString = "Added by Dan"; // Will add more useful data here

}

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Since you already have the Marker object with textItems.obj, you should be able to add the UserString directly like this:

textItems.obj.UserString = "Added by Dan";

You don't need the GetUniqueObject method because you already have the Marker object.

Check and see if the UserString persists, though. There was a bug where setting the UserString property with ExtendScript wouldn't persist after you quit FrameMaker. It does persist with FrameScript and the FDK. They may have fixed it, but I haven't tr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you already have the Marker object with textItems.obj, you should be able to add the UserString directly like this:

textItems.obj.UserString = "Added by Dan";

You don't need the GetUniqueObject method because you already have the Marker object.

Check and see if the UserString persists, though. There was a bug where setting the UserString property with ExtendScript wouldn't persist after you quit FrameMaker. It does persist with FrameScript and the FDK. They may have fixed it, but I haven't tried it yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I works. Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for marking my answer as correct. Did you check and see if the UserString value persists after you close the file and reopen it? I have had problems with this in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, it does persist, at least for the Marker objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines