Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change hyphenation?

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I notice that the hyphenation instructions in the help are not that helpful.

I have a text with Swedish set as language and I find a word with incorrect hyphenation in the FrameMaker dictionary.

Östafrika

is for some odd reason hyphenated as Östa-frika.

How can I change this (among many other similar issues). I see help on the forums about going to the spelling checker and then set "show hyphenation" and change > and then press learn, etc. But since the word is correctly spelt from the beginning, FM does not accept my suggestions.

So, how do I do?

Regards

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Did you enter Östafrika in the Spelling Checker and clicked Show Hyphentation?

Did you then change the hyphens to something like Öst-afrika and click Learn?

Then this word is in the dictionary.

Now you also have to update the hyphenation in your document.

Click Dictionaries and then select Rehyphenate Document and click OK.

Then your document will hyphenate Östafrika as you had entered.

Otherwise you can also change the hyphenation manually. See here:

https://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/2019/using/index.html#t=using-framemaker-2019%2Ffrm_shortcut...

Press CTRL+F and search for hyphen. You can suppress the hyphenation of a word or enter a discretionary hyphen.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob:

Did Winfried's suggestion work for you, or do you need additional assistance?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Barb and thanks Winfried,

however, unfortunately, it does not work. Even if I click learn and then rehyphenate document the issue remains.

I added the word in the spelling checker and press "Show Hyphenation". I correct according to normal Swedish (plenty of words in the Swedish dictionary have incorrect hyphenation) and Learn. But no reaction and retyping the word in the spell checker and pressing the "Show Hyphenation" shows the old settings again.

Manual insertion of a hyphen would not solve the issue as if I enter more text to the paragraph the added hyphen will be incorrect.

I have admin priviliges and should have write access to the dictionary.

Turning of hyphenation (Esc j n) would be a possible solution, but a pity that the dictionaries are not updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm,

I notice it works in some documents but not in others if that's of any value...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably have to Unlearn the word first, correct the hyphenation, and re-learn the word.

As a general guide for any program that can control hyphenation, I always check the hyphenation before adding the word to the user dictionary. If the program can't "spell" the word, most likely, it doesn't know how to hyphenate it either.

Here is what I usually do...

• If you already have a reasonable-sized user dictionary, write the Personal (User) Dictionary to a file (you will need to add the .txt extension to the file name).
  • If you are just starting out, write all unknown words to a file, adding the .txt extension.

• Open the exported file up and edit as needed.
    • Insert or remove hyphens in words to control hyphenation
    • Add hyphen in front of word to prevent hyphenation
  • Re-import edited dictionary into the Personal Dictionary
    • If sending file to others, import into document too.

Note that this can be done as a book function too.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Mr. Training,

this seems to be what I need to do.

In fact - it was very easy to take the list with corrections that we had compiled and just copy-paste them from excel into the text file. 

And then import. Thanks for a very detailed chain of commands.

It seems like I have to do it manually for each document though? You mention for a whole book, but I cannot find the option. I'll continue the search.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines