• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create a bracket to use as a pointer to an area of an image? (rather than an arrow pointer)

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I would like to use a bracket shape somehow in order to capture an area of an image, rather than have to use multiple arrows.  In essence, to draw a rectangle and then cleanly have ONE side disappear to replicate a bracket ( ] ) would be ideal, but I cannot figure out how to manipulate a rectangle to accomplish removing one side.  How do I create a bracket to use as a call-out over an image?  (Example of what I'd like to do in Framemaker is attached, see call-out "C").

bracket_letter C.JPG

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using FrameMaker's graphics tools, you'll have to draw 4 lines to replicate what you have in your graphic or use the polyline tool. Frame doesn't come with preinstallated graphic shapes.

Personally, I use Visio to create any graphic that needs callouts, and even then I draw from scratch because I'm not fond of Visio's stencil braces/brackets. YMMV. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes. In FrameMaker you have to draw several lines. I prefer to do this in FrameMaker, so that such lines or call-outs always have the exact same dimensions (line width, etc.). I often use a drawing in different scalings. When I would create the call-outs in my drawing application (Corel Designer), then the call-outs would be different. Not good.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Aaron: I like Winfried's idea of drawing the shapes within FrameMaker. That way, they are easier to adjust at the last minute.

Here's one more idea to ponder—instead of drawing the bracket as three lines, or trying to delete part of a rectangle—how about using an entire rectangle?

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 6.53.23 PM.png

And then Graphics > Arrange > Send to Back?

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 6.53.49 PM.png

You could create a reference page to hold the various shapes and then go grab one when you need it.  Editing would be easy:

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 6.54.11 PM.png

And you can use the Align panel to quickly position the stroke that comes off the top after you resize it:

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 7.02.33 PM.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines