• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to depict a subscript and superscript on the same variable?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this should be pretty simple

I have a variable that needs both a superscript and a subscript next to it.

like this 

garybeckwith_0-1588091574865.png

I have tried the equation tool, it seems to have everything you can think of except this.

the only thing I can think of is to use the graphics tool but that is way overkill for a short formula that really belongs inline text.

any ideas?

thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never having need to do this, V subscript A, with a Rubi "min" on the A might get you started.

Rubi properties are in Format Ā» Document

Whether or not you can specify Rubi in a Variable, I don't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to get this with the old-fashioned equation editor in FrameMaker 2019:

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are micro-positioning buttons in the Positioning page of the palette so you should be able to move the A over to the left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks. i am getting close.   is there a trick to selecting a certain element in an equation, so you can edit or move it?  I can't seem to get the cursor where I need it to be

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Legacy FM equations can do this (as can other methods & hacks), but to get back to the original question, do you need to do this in a Variable construct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's really  a simple equation, other than the fact that I need a superscript and subscript on the same variable.    I can pretty much get it to work but I am struggling getting the equation editor to respond when I am trying to select a certain element in the equation, in order to move it with the "micropositioning" tools, or even let's say I just want to select an element to add to the complexity.   let's say there is an  M variable and I want to select it and make into "M+1".   i spent the better part of an hour yesterday trying to select the M so I can edit it.  I was clicking on it, control-clicking on it. right-clicking on it, tabbing through the equation.  nothing seemed to work.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary,

Your questions may be answered at https://www.daube.ch/docu/files/compendium.pdf#page=353

Klaus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might just as well download that compendium, @garybeckwith. It is packed with useful information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I believe he's talking about variables in the math sense, not the FrameMaker sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Press the spacebar to select in an equation.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the Exponent button to create the superscript and then the Subscript button to create the subscript. I have had no luck in using the Superscript button in a way that lets stack a subscript underneath.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines