Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to generate a DITA ToC?

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2016 Mar 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm producing a DITA bookmap and I'm trying to insert the ToC (table of contents). When I insert the element, FM asks me to refer to a specific file. How can I automatically generate the toc and if that's not supported, how can I go about adding a toc? My impression is that automatic generation should be possible since FM uses DITA-OT to compile outputs.

Many thanks!

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2016 Mar 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not sure if this is THE BEST WAY, but...  I use Maker to do what Maker does, and DITA to do what DITA does.  When it's time to generate a PDF, what I do is save my ditamap as a composite document.  I then include that document in a Maker book, complete with title page, TOC, and any other book components I want.  I then generate the book, and save as PDF.

I view the TOC as a specific rendering of the ditamap, and it's not actually part of the DITA itself...  A TOC is "format" while the DITA is content and structure.  So I don't want the TOC to be anywhere near the actual DITA...  I want to generate the TOC when the time is right.  And Maker is good at that.

I'm sure there are other ways to skin this cat...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines