How to generate best PDF for FrameMaker book using Kindle Desktop Publishing (KDP)?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for the cross-post to acrobat, but I didn't know which was the more appropriate forum:

I have successfully generated a paperback book using FrameMaker. I saved the book as a PDF and both the cover art and the internal material (i.e., the book text) loaded fine. I made a PDF using FrameMaker's "Save as PDF" option and it published fine. I then added thirty pages to this, some of which was rather intensive, graphically, which contained anchored frames of Adobe Illustrator. It seems that this slightly larger PDF can no longer be read with KDP. The error message is "Check your file and try again" with no further diagnostics. The response I received from Amazon KDP is below.  My question is whether I should be able to simply select "Press Quality" from the Adobe PDF menu and would that not generate the flattened version they seem to want. I have tried this, but KDP is a somewhat flaky thing and I'm not sure if I should just keep trying repeatedly. Thanks for any insights! Phil

(Side Notes: I have tried using FrameMaker to print to postscript and then converting that postscript file to pdf using Adobe Acrobat. I have also used the print production tool in adobe acrobat Pro to convert all color spaces to CMYK (both CMYK and something called ICCCMYK) and none of these attempts succeeds either.) Below is the pdf generated by producing postscript and then using adobe acrobat pro to generate the pdf, for example.

------------------------------

Our technical team has thoroughly analyzed both the cover and interior files and have provided their findings as below:

a) Interior file:

Within the interior file you are using a color space called CalRGB. This color profile works well for color adjustments in Photoshop, but the file must be converted back to RGB or CMYK, to allow saving as an image, which is used for the thumbnail and review, or for the file to physically printed.

Hence you should convert all color spaces used inside the file to CMYK color and create a new PDF by choosing the option 'Print to PDF' as opposed to regular saving or exporting to PDF.

TOPICS
PDF output, Publishing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

1 Correct Answer

Community Beginner , Jul 21, 2020
phillipkwood Community Beginner , Jul 21, 2020
Apologies to the world and the community for not sharing how this was finally resolved. I was a recipient of kind individuals here who tried to help me on this but eventually had to persistently work with the KDP folks. It seems that the answer afer much testing was that KDP has some limits in the size of the vector graphics which can be contained within the figure. After much experimentation the figure, which was generated with R and was a rather larger scatterplot, needed to be rasterized. The...

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Phillip:

Mobi is the Kindle document format—they really want a PDF? And FWIW, Fm 2019 can create a Kindle-ready format from the new Publish pod. That said:

• What version of FrameMaker are you using?
  • What color mode are the new Illustrator files using? (In Ai, File > Document Color Mode) Are they all the same?
  • Did you try the suggested Print to PDF?
  • Here is a white paper on how to convert color spaces in Acrobat, including from the device-independent CalRGB. Did you follow these steps? https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/color-conversion-ink-management-acrobat.html

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Participant ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, Kindle Direct Publishing is also now the platform (formerly Createspace) for printed books.  For that you need a PDF.

I'm having this same problem was this ever resolved?

John

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies to the world and the community for not sharing how this was finally resolved. I was a recipient of kind individuals here who tried to help me on this but eventually had to persistently work with the KDP folks. It seems that the answer afer much testing was that KDP has some limits in the size of the vector graphics which can be contained within the figure. After much experimentation the figure, which was generated with R and was a rather larger scatterplot, needed to be rasterized. The size of the raster file was fairly generous and, after that, everything works fine and minimal degradation of the figure. FWIW. Peace and love all. Phil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You sound like you have it all together.  I, on the otherhand am scattered all over the place.  I will look forward someday to being able to read your finished product.  Say a little prayer, that I can get through this.  Thanks for sharing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines