• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get a TOC when publishing an FM 2017 book in HTML5?

Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use FrameMaker 2017 Release and  want to publish directly from FM.

My book has a TOC and an Index file, but they don't appear in the HTML5 output. What shall I do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Try going straight to the updates page - Adobe - FrameMaker : For Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show a screenshot of your Settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had another thought - are these TOC and Index files generated by FM or did you make them up yourself?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are automatically generated files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what my book looks like:

And what the HTML5 ouput looks like:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There aren't many Settings when you publish directly from FrameMaker, do you want my Settings.sts file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would check in a couple of places - the first is on the Style Mapping tab to see if you've told it to create a TOC based on what Paragraph headings to paginate on & the other place is in the settings of the layout itself - you can tell a layout to show or display a TOC - see Matt's video on it - Customizing HTML5 output with FrameMaker 2015 - YouTube 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recall this happened in the initial release (14.0.0)

Have you updated to 14.0.4?

Also, this can be browser/firewall related. Try a different browser and also post it to your web server before  viewing.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in version 14.0.3.500 but I can't find FM updates for my TCS 2017 Release:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try going straight to the updates page - Adobe - FrameMaker : For Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated FrameMaker to 14.0.4.511.

It solved my Index issue but not my TOC issue.

Jeff_Coatsworth​ When I change the layout settings, the new settings are not applied (see Fig.2 hereafter). Anyway, the default settings include a TOC pane but it is still mssing from my HTML5 output.

Fig.1 Output with an Index but still no TOC

Fig. 2 Layout settings for the above output.

As you can see, they don't match.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking back at post#5 of your FM book, I don't see any TOC or IX generated files listed - I would have expected to see a "book_nameTOC" file present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "orange" files are the FM generated files, the book shows the title of the content of the file, not the file's name.

I tried to correct my previous post to say taht thanks to the update, I eventually got a TOC in my output!

.... The only issue remaining are the fact that I can't customize the layout (customized settings are not applied in the output).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have to give your modified layout a new name to be used - I can't really tell you much because I don't use this FM Publish workflow. Maybe Matt can chime in...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out the free info on HTML5 publishing at Get free HTML5 training - Tech Comm Tools

Since the update solved your "How to get a TOC when publishing an FM 2017 book in HTML5?" issue, if that doesn't resolve it, go ahead and start another topic.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'll start another topic if needed.

Out of curiosity, don't you get that same issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Formatting my content has been flawless and easy. That's not to say I can do *anything* I want, but what I've needed to do has been straightforward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines