• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get email link to work in Framemaker 2017

Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had an email link in my footer with Framemaker 11 which worked when I made a pdf. But they no longer work in Framemaker 2017. How do I get them to work?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Hi Zerkfitting:

Let's try this again:

1. Add a text frame. (If you put the hypertext marker in an otherwise empty frame—the frame boundaries control the clickable area. If you have other text in the footer, the entire footer will be clickable, unless you add the marker into text formatted with a character tag.)
  2. Insert > Hypertext opens the Hypertext pod. (I put the marker into an otherwise-empty frame on the master page, and changed the color to yellow so that you can see it. This means I can click an

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Hypertext menu.

Select the URL option.

Type in like so:

mailto:david@ideas.com

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file was created with Frame 11. The link was a marker with the hypertext type and I had the marker text set to  mailto:sales@xxx.com; this setting worked correctly when I made a PDF using Frame 11. Without changing the anything in the file (just converting it to Frame 2017) and I make a pdf in Frame 2017 the link will open a web browser to its default home page. 

Frame 2017 doesn't have a Hypertext menu, from the Insert menu I can select Hypertext to display a panel. The hypertext Command drop down has a Go to URL selection which can be used to open a web page (changing the text to mailto: generates an unrecognized command error).

I noticed your example shows an envelope after the mailto: script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The icon was inserted by the forums server.

You selected the Hypertext menu to display the dialog box—no?

I didn’t mention the Special or Insert menu.

It should open up th sys default for email.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have a Hypertext menu displayed in my menu bar. 

I can only display a Hypertext dialog box from the Insert menu; the dialog box contains  a Command drop down with an area below it for text, a Validate Command upon Insert checkbox, and a Create button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zerkfitting:

Let's try this again:

1. Add a text frame. (If you put the hypertext marker in an otherwise empty frame—the frame boundaries control the clickable area. If you have other text in the footer, the entire footer will be clickable, unless you add the marker into text formatted with a character tag.)
  2. Insert > Hypertext opens the Hypertext pod. (I put the marker into an otherwise-empty frame on the master page, and changed the color to yellow so that you can see it. This means I can click anywhere on the yellow frame in Acrobat to initiate an email.)
  3. Choose Go to URL from the Command menu.
    Screenshot 2018-08-07 16.42.58.png
  4. Add mailto:name@companyname.com after the space at the end of the automatically generated text. (Again, the forum is adding the blue symbol after the word "mailto" so look at the dialog box for how this should actually look.)
  5. Click Create.
  6. Save the file, then File > Save as PDF
  7. Click in the appropriate area on the PDF to open up your email client.
    Screenshot 2018-08-07 16.48.40.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had been overwriting the message URL text with the mailto: command (which generated the command error) so I was hopeful the correction would work. Unfortunately the link still opens to the default browser page. My footer has a hypertext link to our web page and it works correctly but the sales@xxx.com link won't work. When I hover my mouse over the link in Acrobat I see the correct command (mailto:sales@xxx.com).

To troubleshoot Acrobat I highlighted some text in my Acrobat file and created the mailto:sales@xxx.com link and it works as it should.

I moved my sales@xx.com text from the footer and to the body of the page and the hypertext link works correctly. I decided to move the link within my footer which is on a master page and realized my footer didn't change when I went back to the body pages so I have a different problem.

The mailto: hypertext command works properly and I discovered I have a master page issue to troubleshoot. At least I have new information to work with.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines