• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to identify master page override

Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2016 Aug 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the search for this forum must be broken. Surely there have been questions over the years that use the term "override."

Anyway, every time I switch from a certain master page to the body, I get the message asking if I want to maintain the override. I have looked and looked and cannot figure out what on the body page is overriding the master page.

How can I find out what Framemaker is choking on? I'm using FM 12 in Windows 7.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 19, 2016 Aug 19, 2016

Hi Nancy:

I know! We have to put on our detective hats and grab our magnifying glasses to figure it out. You can put this on a wishlist here: Home.

In my experience, once removed, always removed. Are you (or someone in your office) doing anything to add it back in without knowing it? For example, selecting the template frame on one page and making it slightly longer to accommodate an extra line? If the template frame is just a fraction of a point different from the master page frame, it will gene

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2016 Aug 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That means one of the body pages has a override: different margins or column settings from the master in charge of it. If you want consistency across the document, choose remove overrides. There isn't anyplace that I know of to see exactly what the override is: FrameMaker doesn't offer that in any scenario.

My rule is no overrides, so it's a no-brainer: if I get the message in any scenario, I made a mistake and I remove it. In your case, save the file first, go to the master, and back to the body pages and remove the override. Then examine each page to see if anything untoward shows up. If it does, File > Revert. If not, File > Save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Barb.

Thanks for that explanation.

I always select "Remove overrides" when I go back to the body pages, but the removal isn't permanent. The next time I go to the master page and return to the body page, I get the same warning. In your experience, is the removal permanent? If so, I must be missing something ...

(It irks me that after ~25 years, FrameMaker still doesn't identify the overrides! It offers all kinds of other generated lists, how about one for overrides!)

Thanks again!

--Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy:

I know! We have to put on our detective hats and grab our magnifying glasses to figure it out. You can put this on a wishlist here: Home.

In my experience, once removed, always removed. Are you (or someone in your office) doing anything to add it back in without knowing it? For example, selecting the template frame on one page and making it slightly longer to accommodate an extra line? If the template frame is just a fraction of a point different from the master page frame, it will generate the message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Barb.

I will have to do some sleuthing!

Thank you for the link. (I wonder if it will have a placebo effect: produces no actual result, but makes me feel better....)

I'm interested in your training and will take a look at what you offer.

--Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Awesome! I'd love to see you in class.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines