Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to identify missing filename FrameMaker 2019

Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello excellent community! 

Hopefully, this is a quick one: When I have a missing file, the full filename doesn't display because the path is very long. I've tried stretching the window, r-clicking, rolling onto the partial filename, all to no avail:

Missing-File.gif

any ideas?

thanks!

Elo

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the references panel for figuring out where the images are? I would expect right clicking File Properties on the file would display the path.

Otherwise there is the "old fashioned" version. Insert a list of references in the book file and have it find "Imported Graphics"

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi StudioSm,

I just have a few missing graphics and would like to know which .fm file they are in. I've attached a better screenshot below. I'd like to be able to see the file path for the .fm file when I'm looking at the Missing File dialog but under Document Folder below, only part of the path displays:

Missing-File2.gif

thanks,

Elo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @eLo:

Making the window wider doesn't show the whole path? What about bypassing the error message and checking inreferenced path with the grayed-out graphic selected in Object Properties? Then you can close, reopen and target the correct folder.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Oddly, stretching out the dialog window doesn't change the path display at all. I've inherited a big pile of documents some with 30+ chapters and > 500 pages. Usually I'm just missing 5-6 graphics but I'd rather not have to look through all 500 pages to find the missing graphics.

I guess there's no way to find out the .fm filename from that dialog?

thanks,

Lori

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a List of References, where I have "fiddled" with the code. It generates a list imported graphics with a list of which files they belong to and on what page to find it. Perhaps you could make a book file - add all your fm files - generate a list like this and simply search the list for the missing file names and lookup where they belong.2021-02-10_14-23-55.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks StudioSM, I'll give that a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines