• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make menu bar icons larger

Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2017 Dec 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to make the icons in the menu bars larger--they're about 1 pt in size and I really have to strain to discern which is which. I've already tried re-installing FM and also Edit/Preferences/Interface.

Thanks,

HelpAngel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi HelpAngel,

Are you using Fm 2015? You have two sizes for the icons but it looks like you already found that in Prefs > Interface. Just confirming that the size set to large, and you restarted the software after the change?

Is this a new issue because you recently moved to a 4K display? One of the new features in Fm 2017 is support for these HiDPI displays.

From Adobe FrameMaker (2017 release)-New Features :

Support for high resolution displays

Now work with the full clarity of high definition displays (up to 4K - 3840 x 2160), as FrameMaker automatically scales to fit the system resolution. Enjoy the new interface with crisp icons and a richer contrast ratio.

See also FrameMaker 2017: Support for Hi-Resolution

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

I'm using 2015. I re-downloaded onto a new Win10 computer with 1920 x 1080

resolution (and restarted after attempts to change the icon size).

HelpAngel

On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 1:37 PM, BarbBinder <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to experiment with changing the Compatibility settings in your FM shortcut - there's a setting concerning high DPI displays in there that had an impact on older versions of FM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about customizing the toolbar icons?

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2372009

Btw:

In FM 2017, the default toolbar icons seems to be limited to small and monochrome:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\14\maker.ini

[Preferences]

ToolBarIconsColor=Monochrome

ToolBarIconsSize=Small

Although these properties can be changed in an editor (Monochrome -> Colored, Small -> Large), after a Framemaker restart, they are ressetted to Monochrome and Small. No default colored big icons for nobody anymore?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I watched the video in the Tech Comm Tools reply, and I have the following observations:

• I don't want to change everything for all tools I use in Windows 10. The default icons for FrameMaker are the *only* ones that are microscopic by default.
  • Over time my eyes relied on both color and icon shape to help me quickly find the icon I was looking for.
  • The link "Make text and other items larger or smaller" does not exist in my version of Windows 10. (I would not use it anyway, because the icons in all other applications I use are fine.)

All in all, the decisions made about icons in FrameMaker 2017 are an epic fail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bufossil,

I also miss the option for colorful icons, and for the two icon sizes—they were easier to locate quickly. You can put in a feature request here: Tracker​.

Let us know here after you do, I would gladly vote for it.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There already a ticket for this here:

Tracker

If you want to vote on it, please do on this ticket 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice suggestion, never knew there was such a request form. I just submitted three.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HelpAngel, you may have a look at my website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2019 Mar 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's a suitable workaround if you don't mind the pixels upscaling for your menu bars.

1. Open the File Location of the [Adobe FrameMaker 2015] executable file.
  2. Right-click on the executable file to load the pop-up option menu and click [Properties]
  3. The [Adobe FrameMaker 2015 Properties] window will appear. In the Compatibility Tab, find the Settings area and Click on the [Change high DPI settings] button.
  4. The [Adobe FrameMaker 2015 Properties] sub-menu window will appear. In the High DPI scaling override area, check the [Override high DPI scaling behavior.] option and in the [Scaling performed by:] dropdown, choose [System (enhanced)].
  5. Click [OK] to close the sub-menu window. Click [OK] to close the properties window.
  6. Double click on the Executable file to check if that worked. (You may notice a bit of a upscaling issue in terms of clarity, but you will no longer have to read 4k pixel density anymore.

Increasing Toolbar size in FM to 4k.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines