Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to modify existing EDD ?

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2015 Aug 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

We are working with a customer structured FM12 files that we need to update.Files have been created with Framemaker and everything works well with format rules.

There is just one problem that we need to solve : a title gets longer and we need to write it on 2 lines instead of 1 before. But when the last words of the title go to the second line, it does not stay centered but goes to the left. Is there a way to correct it ?

I have tried "Display Designer" in "Show Element Context", but a message appears and says that I first need to select a format tag in the "Format Rules" selection list. I have tried with each line that I could find in the Format Rules selection list but the message keeps appearing.

Also, I have tried to open the EDD to change rules directly in it, but I have no idea on where to find this EDD (which must be somewhere as I can see the format rules and as they are applied). Is there a way to find this EDD ? Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, but I'm a beginner at structured FM.

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers and have a nice day !

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Aug 11, 2015 Aug 11, 2015

Hi,

An EDD lives inside each structured document. Every document has its own copy which is completely independent of any other document. You can export a copy with StructureTools > Export Element Catalog as EDD. You can import an EDD with File > Import > Element Definitions, which completely overwrites the current internal EDD.

It is important to note that formatting can be controlled by an EDD, the document template, or a combination of both. Depending on the mindset of the original architect and

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

An EDD lives inside each structured document. Every document has its own copy which is completely independent of any other document. You can export a copy with StructureTools > Export Element Catalog as EDD. You can import an EDD with File > Import > Element Definitions, which completely overwrites the current internal EDD.

It is important to note that formatting can be controlled by an EDD, the document template, or a combination of both. Depending on the mindset of the original architect and the size of the EDD, this can be difficult to deconstruct.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi !

Thank you for these explanations. I have tried to use StructureTools > Export Element Catalog as EDD but Framemaker seems to crash when I do it (even if I wait 5 minutes, then I need to force Framemaker to close).

Is this a know issue ?

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never heard of this before. Usually it should happen very fast. Does it happen with every file you have? Maybe try to delete all content from a file, then export? Maybe import from one of your files to a blank template, then export from that file? I don't really know... just throwing out ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok it has worked after closing all the other open documents in FM and I could understand what was wrong in the EDD.

Thanks Russ and have a nice day !

Edit : it's finally not a problem of other documents open on FM, but on the number of different elements in the chapter. It worked fast because I tried with a smaller chapter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Russ, is this answer the same for FrameMaker 2019?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines