• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to modify paragraph widths

Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to widen the dashed frame in which my text appears in the image below?  How do I do this?

2016-12-08_1014.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Well, I thought you were pointing to the bullet, obviously!

I see that you have a custom position for your header, so to not disturb that:

1. View > Master Pages
  2. Control + click on the template frame (the big empty one in the middle of the page)
  3. Format > Customize Layout  > Customize Text Frame > Dimensions. Modify the Width, Height, Top and Left Offsets, and click Apply. Repeat for the facing page, if double sided.
    VMware Fusionss_009.png
  4. View > Body Pages and the text will reflow.

Now this is much easier, more intuitive and

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Place your cursor in one of the two paragraphs.
  • Format > Paragraphs > Designer > Basic
  • Update the 1st line indent value.
  • Update All.

I can see from the ruler that you also have a left indent set. You may want to adjust that value as well, depending on the look you are after. Bullets normally have a left indent that matches the tab stop, to produce a hanging indent.

VMware Fusionss_007.png

But you would need to add a tab character between the bullet and the first character of the text. This can easily be done in Format > Paragraphs > Designer > Numbering, again followed by update all. If this produces duplicate bullets, you can remove them manually or via Find/Change.

VMware Fusionss_008.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Thanks for your response and help.  I need to better explain my question as I don't think that's what I was looking for...

I'd like to change the margin for all of the text on that page so that each paragraph extent can run wider on the page...There is a dashed line that is framing the text.  It seems like this is what needs to be modified.

2016-12-08_1124.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I thought you were pointing to the bullet, obviously!

I see that you have a custom position for your header, so to not disturb that:

1. View > Master Pages
  2. Control + click on the template frame (the big empty one in the middle of the page)
  3. Format > Customize Layout  > Customize Text Frame > Dimensions. Modify the Width, Height, Top and Left Offsets, and click Apply. Repeat for the facing page, if double sided.
    VMware Fusionss_009.png
  4. View > Body Pages and the text will reflow.

Now this is much easier, more intuitive and less math if you use Format > Page Layout > Column Layout and change the margins. But when you have a custom size and/or placement of the running heads (which you do), it moves them back to the default position.

VMware Fusionss_009.png

Practice on a copy of the file!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb,

This worked great.  Thank you again for your help.  this did take a lot of trial and error...

you should consider teaching for Ledet if you don't already...

regards,

matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They do put students my classes, but I prefer to work on my own. Glad I could help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines